Free airtickets if you're nice

Ive been bumped to business class a few times...usually its always because the airline overbooked...

I always ask if a plane is overbooked when I check in...a few years back airlines were much more liberal with their upgrade/compensation packages for giving up your seat on an overbooked flight. But now its a bit more difficult.

Once I was upgraded just as I was boarding the plane...British Airways...that was sweet!!

only problme with upgrades is it makes flying economy that much more difficult

:p

danz

Yeah, been there, done that.

I am told you just have to look smart and elegant. Jeans and sneakers are a no-no. I remember I was not all suited up but was wearing a well-ironed shirt and trousers at the time. I think I also had a tie on. A uniformed lady walked up to me while I was standing in line and asked me to check in at the Business counter. At first I thought it was just to speed up the check in process and was happy to be able to jump the queue. I only realized I was actually up-graded when I boarded the plane and was directed to a Business Class seat. And that was a long-haul flight too! clap.gif

So its a tie on the flight home in summer, then.

The question is - Markie, why were you wearing a tie for a longhaul flight in the first place? ;\)

Markie...

I guess I am an exception to the rule then...cause I never fly in anything but the most casual looking of clothes...and have been bumped many times

danz

I roll on into business class in jeans and sneakers all the time. I aint derssing fancy for any bugger on the plane! Tis there problem if they don't like my attire. Find another seat! I paid just as much as you prat.

Of course I am not the one paying, but they don't know that.

I was bumped once on china airlines. Main steward guy liked the look of my girlfriend and maybe thought we were honeymooners because we were on our way to Hawaii. Attire was anything but smart and dressy.

Gee markie I thought you would be flying in your bib n' brace ski pants. According to certain forum members you lived in them on one of your previous Japan trips, even wore them Tokyo clubbing lol.gif clap.gif

As for you, Mogski, you look like a rock star anyway so I doubt they mind, and even if they do, as you said.....

I just wonder whether anyone has approached you for autographes?

Yeah, Dims, that's right. I flew in in me ski pants during Easter last year and really cooked those drumsticks of mine. I didn't expect the high temps of Tokyo at that time. That was a real laugh.

Didn't learn my lesson though! Did the same thing this Easter in my Kiroro trip with the same ski pants. Fortunately, Hokkaido was much cooler and no cooked drumsticks this time!

I got upgraded to Business class with a uni friend of mine last year when flying back form New Zealand to Japan.

Given my friend is female I tried the just married tactic!! Shortly before take off i walked up to one of the flight attendants fluttered my eye lashes and explained how my "wife" and I had just recently got married and this was our honeymoon trip to Japan, and if at all possible could I get an upgrade as a present to her and surprise!! The then duey eyed air hostess hearing of such love and affection promptly upgraded us and we spent the rest of the flight sipping champagne and lounging in seats 3 times the size of cattle class!! However maybe linking our arms as we drank the champagne was going a little far!!! Unfortunately the marriage lasted the 13 hours of the flight and we went out separate ways on touch down, still nice while it lasted!!

When you guys got upgraded - was the plane full / peak times, etc?

I've tried everything. Suits, looking very business like, g-fs birthday - but never lucked out.

Must hurt having to wear a suit in economy!! Especially when the only reason you are wearing one is to try to get upgraded. Ouch.

rach - fill me in; what is "nesu pa" please?

markie - I have had to sign for a fee things before getting on the plane. Can these count as autographs?

Green - When I was upgraded, the plane was packed full. I think they only upgrade when they are overbooked in Economy and they let it overflow into the vacancies in the Business Section. And I wasn't "suited" up. Just the normal "Casual smart" without the skipants! The skipants bit is call the "Casual stupid" look.

Mogski - I think it would count if you were the only one signing and they were just making excuses to get your signature! ;\)

Also, I'm guessing Rach is trying to say "n'est pas" but spelling French in a Japanese way.

On another note, I was actually downgraded once!

I had a Business Class ticket and when I checked in I noticed my short connecting flight from Ottawa to Toronto was delayed. This meant that I would miss my Toronto-Vancouver connection. When I pointed this out, they rushed me over to another plane which was just about to take off for Toronto and issued me a seat in the economy section even though there were vacancies in the business section. I suppose that was a mistake due to the rush and since it was only a one hour flight, I didn't bother to complain and demand my rightful place in the business section! After all, they helped me make my connection!

One advantage of being slim and small is seat on plane is not too bad (still not fun). Sometimes I look at big foreigner guy and feel sorry for them in small seat.

mogski

It was my best attempt at trying to remember some Furansugo from school so many years back.