I just love horses. I have done since I was a little girl - used to have my own pony and goriding a few times a week. Recently I've found somewhere fairly nearby here where I can ride some horses. So I'm really happy.

Horses deserve their own thread, magnificent animals!

Horses are wonderful creatures Racheal. I grew up in a horse-breeding family. Horses were always around when I was young. Don't you love the smell of horses neck?

Forgive me, but have you ever eaten horse? I did here in Japan and when I told my mother she nearly fainted eek.gif

My sister used to have a pony. It was a real cutey, really friendly. Last year I went horseriding in Scotland and it was an excellent experience. Fantastic beasts.

when i was growing up, i was horse crazy. Never owned one but always dreamt of it. Now that i live on the other side of the world from my family ....they own two....One palameno(sp?) and one Arabian (my fave - spirited and damned gorgeous creatures).

This might sound weird to some but for those horsie people out there ....do you think you can have an "connection" with a horse? Please no links through to "down on the farm". ;\)

I have an irrational fear of them, they freak me out. We used to have one on the farm when I was growing up and we'd ride it sometimes. He was an old bad-tempered ex-race horse and I'll never forget him kicking my sister.

It was a dairy farm and the horse was quartered in a paddock with our token pet sheep. They were firm friends and the sheep used to shelter under the horse when it rained. Whenever the heffiers were put into the paddock to graze the horse and the sheep would put them through their paces by rounding them up and chasing them about.

I respect horses for their intelligence but I fear their unpredictabilty. The sheep,I'm sure, thought he was a horse. They're not as stupid as they appear once separated from the flock structure.

where's the place Rachel? Is it costly and what kind of riding can you do there? (ie is it trail riding, dressage, do you have to be an expert, etc...) I used to have horses adjisted on a property I lived on and I was looking after then, and learned to lunge them, though my beginner riding skills definitely require a more docile horse (though not too docile). Maybe I could go there with you sometime.

I've been bitten by dogs but as they usually give you adequate warning I can forgive them. Having been kicked in the chest once by a horse for no good reason, I don't like them.

Also I hate horse people. On the few occasions I've been horse riding, the horse people have filled the air constantly with their shouted instructions. You can never tell whether it's you or the horse they're addressing. I think they're jealous that you might 'form a bond' with their old nag, and do everything to stop it.

My father has some rather interesting opinions about women and horses that cause my mother to put her hands over her ears.

I know there are some equestrian clubs in Kanagawa and Chiba. One is near my college in Yokohama and another one is in Miura.

My friends in college used to ride horses in Chiba.