Ok guys ,I have done Niseko a few times, but was totally blown away by all of the aussies there last season, and while the terrain is passable, it's the pow that scores the points. I have been told by a couple of people that Niseko is special set up , and that most other resorts don't get the same quality (and quantity)as Niseko ???????

After seeing a few pics posted by fattwins and others, I am begining to think that this may be a bit of an urban myth?

Any feedback guys?

I believe it is a myth. Niseko (Hokkaido) is high marketed (publisized) in Aust. Niseko brochures every where, holiday package tours etc. Niseko is good plenty of snow, plenty of Aussies. (Including myself). Hokkaido like the rest of Japan have great places to ski/board. Just ask the other guys here they will tell you. Take a look around. There is more here than Niseko.

It is great snow up there.

But there is also great snow in other places, there is just a massive focus on Niseko. It's also full of aussies as well. lol.gif

Yeah, it was great a few years ago, but went back in Jan and couldn't believe the amount of aussies, it has lost a lot of the appeal for me, and after digging around a bit, I have turned up a few gems, that I think I will check out this coming Jan/Feb. I didn't realise the number of resorts that are all fairly close together,and don't worry guys,i won't be telling anyone. ;\)

I look at it this way. Hokkaido gets great snow drier at times yes. Honshu is huge! The places with the most snow in Japan are on Honshu. I think sooner or later you will see more US film crews around so of the Alps mountains. True biglines to be found in there.

Check the vid I posted at Ski.com.au Travel section Kagura and that will show you steep and deep.

Snow quality is important, but please remember that menu quality at the restaurants is also too. There should be more cheese-based cuisine out there. I've been saying it for years. Even a place like Niseko does not understand what a spectacular success a cheese-friendly resort could be. wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

Check the vid I posted at Ski.com.au Travel section Kagura and that will show you steep and deep.
Can you post the exact link? Tried looking through the site but couldn't find it...

way too big that file you said no before 200mbs

I hope this doesnt go out of control

Deep powder

go to movies and pull cortina vid

Please post if you download it. (want to keep track) if its too much downloading I will have to pull it. cause my friend might get angry

I downloaded your vid (doing it now)

I am having trouble balancing quality and file size for my movie. My DivX encoder seems to have crapped itself. I made a wmv file but its 700megs - quite big for 50 mins.

should I stick it up anyway?

cheers for that fatt! downloaded but can`t get it to play - it jams a few seconds in and locks up whatever program i`m using to run it. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just my computer? want to see mountains in snow!

Jared nice little vid. How did you do in that race?

And that first guy almost wrapped himself around a few trees eh.

I see you have the same problem backflipping as I do. You cant get your head tucked back. No matter how hard I try I cant get it layed out to control the spin.

The wife really books it into those jumps eh.

You should ask GETO to bring the head park guys from taksu up to train the staff there. you can get much better jumps if you did.

Anyways, about the snow...

The sickest place east of Baker has to be a tiny place near Asahikawa called Kurodake. It's been a while, and I have only been there twice (once in mid-May, and there was still over a meter of snow!). Check the Japanese all-country ski hill guides, and compare the snowfall.

If you do go there though, it is a little... rustic. One gondola up to access the only lift. A double chair, that leads to only 2 runs that i remember. But i also remember that they didn't care if you did the trees.

I got 2nd in my age group but 4th out of our group of 7. The results weren't what was expected and a few of the people that rate themselves a bit lost. Apparantly there was a bit of quiet training going on after that so that they can win next year.

They have already sent people away to learn how to build park - they just dont use them \:\(