Hi people there !

Im new on this board, so i introduce myself \:\) im 22y/o male Japanese but actually living in Paris, France.

Im getting back in Japan very soon and I am a little bit anxious about my snowboard. Will I have to pay any extra fees to get my snowboard onboard ? I'll surely take JAL as always.

So my question is :

Is there somebody who has already taken Japan Airline with a snowboard or skis in their luggage ? I'd like to hear some experience and advices.

Thank you !

If it is Japan Air, i'm sure you could just call them up and ask youself. I have flown to Japan on other airlines though, and as long as your snowboard bag meets the weight requirements, there should be no problem and no extra charges. It might get a sticker saying 'oversize baggage' and you will probably have to pick it up at a special place when you arrive, but that was not a problem the two times i did it.

good luck

don't worry. japanese airlines are usually pretty cool. They only freak out at the size of my (surf)board coffin which holds 6 boards! The trick with the weight issue is to take a little bit off by using your foot!

Ok, I went to a Jal office in Paris and I asked if I have to pay any charge for my snowboard bag which is 166cms length, they said that i have to pay 51€ ( nearly 6500Yens ) for each kg if the bag is over 156cms, which is gonna cost me like 56.000 Yens!!! I was like " wtf ?!!? can you repeat ? ".

Any other advices people ? I didnt pay my ticket yet.

I can just imagine the attitude of the people answering your query at the JAL office in Paris. I suggest you send an email to check with JAL in Japan wtf is going on. Otherwise I have flown with lufthansa carrying skis between Europe and Japan. Just had to register my luggage as oversize at a different counter, pay a small fee (15 euro or something like that) and that was it. Check with the various airlines flying between Europe and Japan what the cost is, then choose the cheapest one. Make sure you get it in writting as well (email is best) as they may pretend that they do not know what you are talking about once you reach the check-in counter and try to charge you.... Yes it happens.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kemuri:
Ok, I went to a Jal office in Paris and I asked if I have to pay any charge for my snowboard bag which is 166cms length, they said that i have to pay 51€ ( nearly 6500Yens ) for each kg if the bag is over 156cms, which is gonna cost me like 56.000 Yens!!! I was like " wtf ?!!? can you repeat ? ".

Any other advices people ? I didnt pay my ticket yet.
Seroiusly, you sound like a worry wart!
I travel always with a surfboard bag that is 7ft6 inches long and have never had any problems besides being over weight.
I seriously think they have made a mistake and have quoted you the amount per kilo if you are OVERWEIGHT.

as long as your bag is not overweight you will be fine

The rule as I know it on most flights is.

ski and boot bags are consider 1 piece and your suitcase the second. just dont go over your weight limit.

My buddy just brought me 2 pairs of skis from the U.S. for no extra charge charge

I brought 2 boards in two bags filled withg gear + a pretty big suitcase and flew over with JAL, initially they said I had to pay a **** load of money to bring it over, but if you insist long enough, they get over it they finally let you thru withouth payment, although this did take me past the second final boarding call..

Quote:
Originally posted by The Skiing Lawyer:
I have more than once given my skis to my mother/father/person sending me off at the airport while I check in, then claim them back after check in.
I am a little confused. So if you check in your stuff while someone is holding your ski's and you get them back after you have checked in... So where do your ski's go? Carry on luggage? confused.gif