Hi!

Maybe an unsuitable subject right now, sorry about that ;\)

I just bought a Toyota Hiace van, Nice car! i plan to use it this winter for my snow trips, and i usually spend 2 nights on the mountain per weekend.

I HATE ideling, it is a waste of energy, it stinks, and a Hiace Diesel van procuces 60 liters of CO2 per minute!!!!!!

But i also hate freezing, and a night on the mountain in -20 degrees feels very long.

I have a good sleeping bag, but i still end up with a cold nose.

I already did a search on google, but came up with nothing useful. Does anyone here have some solutions?

Some people have suggested that i run a gasoline generator outside for an electrical heater inside.. ?!? Generators are 2 stroke engines that pollutes even more than a car. Hardly a solution.

Gas and kerosine heaters uses oxygene, so i would need some kind of ventilation, and i am a bit afraid of

vanfire.JPG

(ok, it's only a FORD)

any tips?

ATB

Thunderpants

Get one of those warm air bubble things. I have one in my bed in winter. Its like a big ballong and gets filled with warm air.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
Hi!
But i also hate freezing,
I have a good sleeping bag, but i still end up with a cold nose.

any tips?
any tips?? yeah harden up man! you have a decent sleeping bag right? thens what the problem? a cold nose? thats trivial!
 Quote:
Originally posted by I=I=I=I=I:
Get one of those warm air bubble things. I have one in my bed in winter. Its like a big ballong and gets filled with warm air.
They're called futon dryers (futon kansouki). It's like a hair dryer with a big air bag that fills with hot air. To stop the thing burning out, the motor cuts out if the flow of air gets constricted, such as if you put lots of heavy blankets on top.

They use a lot of electricity.

It doesn't get that freaking cold in Japan. Stay out of the wind and you're fine. One word comes to mind: pussy! :p

Buck up guy. a warm sleeping bag in a van is all you need. Shame on us that actually use a tent to sleep outdoors.

One suggestion - you ever try those little heat packet things? They are cheap and you can put them in your bag. I've never used them but heard they work great.

Yeah, maybe i should just live with it, but thanks for the advices anyway.

Just thought i would ask if anyone had a new idea!

Plucky, it is not uncommon that temperatures hit -20 at Norikura and Ontake at night time, and that is a bit on the chilly side! but i'll be alright!

ATB

Thunderpants

I had the same ideas a while ago, my final conclusion was just run the van in the morning when its time to get out of the sleeping bag and cover up well at night.

Option number 2 was get one of the DC/AC convertors and connect it to a car battery (not the one you use to start the car in the morning) and use one of the 20 watt "bathroom heaters" they sell at home centre sunday for 3000en that are designed to take the chill of the air in small spaces and dont use much power. They are just a panel of about 50cm x 30cm x 2-3 cm and are covered in some sort of foam so I think they would be quite safe if you knock it over or bury it in clothes by accident. The expensive part is the car battery and a charger but if you could get one from a wreckers yard it might be next to free. If you got super keen you could connect it up so that the spare battery charges when the van is on but thats a little bit too tricky for me to do to keep my nose warm.