Do I say "itadakimasu"? Yes, when in Japan I say it. Often I say it in the fun, slow rhythmic way, like:

iiitadaaakimaaasu.

I used to tease my friend for not being able to eat without saying it.

i used to quite like saying it before eating, and gochisosamadeshita afterwards. what i think is insane is listening to someone say it everytime they take a small bite of somtething

I like it. Kind of like a secular version of "Thank you lord for what we are about to eat..." which doesn't tweak my nipples at all. I always feel a little uncomfortable going through the food prayer at my brothers house cause I'm a heathen sinner eek.gif . Nothing wrong with good manners if it's not overdone. I love it when kids say it in a silly cheeky way.

I looked it up at Dictionary.com and it didn't come up with anything. Maybe she meant inovation? Where is Ocean11 when you really need him?

I thought it was pretty funny though lol.gif

But for Itadakimasu I can't usually be bothered. I have a question though do Japanese people say it when they are alone?

If a tree falls in the forest...

What I can't do is say all the gochisosama at restaurants when I've been given underpar food and service. It just don't seem right, although I may be misunderstanding the meaning. My Japanese friends seem to do it.

Is is appropriate when we get underpar food?

Quote:
Originally posted by Siren:
Sadly not much crenovation in these latest comments.
There is no such word as 'crenovation'. It is obviously a subconscious back-formation, combining the elements 'crenelation' (battlements, often ornamental) and 'innovation'. Making up words like this has its risks - it is against the law. A little known facet of the Criminal Code, the Invented Words Act (1843) has entrapped more illustrious souls than Siren. Indeed, Lewis Carroll spent 2 years in jail following the publication of Alice in Wonderland for flagrant breaches of this law ("Oh frabjous day", "his vorpal blade" etc.).

Of course it comes as no surprise that a junior barrister like Siren would be unaware of, and in breach of this obscure but extant law.

Re: Itadakimasu cf. "Bon appetit" (Fr) and "Let's eat" (It. Am.)