Bashing seals - "boycott Canada"

Check this out

http://www.boycott-canada.com/

CANADA'S SHAME

- Canada has declared war on the seals...again

- Hundreds of thousands are being brutally clubbed or shot each year

- Many are skinned whilst still conscious

- The Canadian government is ignoring world condemnation of the killing and even subsidises the hunt

Is Canada that bad, or that more badder than other places? (A serious question as I don't know). I found this in the UK as well, not the US just for your info

Yes it is shameful \:\( \:\(

It is mostly propaganda though. The baby seal hunt is much more humane now if you can say that. Most of the seals killed are adults and the hunt is meant to supplement the NFLD fishing industry which has been decimated by both domestic and international fishers.

But anyways who was buying the baby firs. Not Canada ;\)

And to take the heat off of Canada. What about Japan when they slaughtered all those dolphins last year. Or America who kills wild bison just for stepping out of national parks.

But I am going to look more into this. My computer is really slow right now. Downloading Adobe.

So here are scientific government papers on the seal hunt. Best to get both sides of everything before you start boycotting.

Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada - Seal Hunt page

2003-2005 Seal Hunt Management Plan

6.4 HUMANE HUNTING PRACTICES

Section 8 of the Marine Mammal Regulations stipulates that persons can only dispatch marine mammals in a manner designed to do so quickly. Under these regulations, seals may be killed only by the use of high-powered rifles, shotguns firing slugs, clubs and hakapiks. Further requirements pertaining to the size, weight, muzzle velocity and gauge of weapon are specified in subsection 28(1) of the regulations.

Licensing policy, which requires a commercial sealer to work under an experienced sealer for two years to obtain a professional licence, augments the regulatory requirements. Sealers are also encouraged to take a training course on proper hunting techniques, product preparation and handling. Personal use sealers must have a hunter's capability certificate or big game licence and attend mandatory training sessions before a licence can be issued.

As a result of recommendations received from the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA), a regulatory amendment to improve hunting practices has been implemented. The new regulations include amendments to hunting methods to establish a clearer determination of death before bleeding and skinning as recommended by the CVMA.

The regulations were registered on March 20, 2003 and published in the Canada Gazette on April 9, 2003.

See Section 7.1 for a full description of the regulatory amendments.

Boycott canada? why? tree hugging hippies...... :rolleyes:

Canada is a mostly decent country, why boycott them over a few seals??? people need to sort out their priorities

If you are going to boycott anyone boycott China -

I could give you a stack of reasons too - massive corruption in all levels of government - village to the top of Beijing, Tibet, human rights, out of control pollution, ecological rape, the list goes on.

Read National Geographic, Newspapers, Time magazine, watch BBC and see what I mean - a constant stream of disturbing news coming out of China.

I am most disappointed they were awarded the 2008 Olympics, they didnt deserve it.

While we've on the subject of Canada bashing, I would like to add my two cents.

My general impression of Canadians is that they are easy-going, laid-back, friendly, conscientious and environmentally concerned. My only complaint is against their immigration and customs officials. When I visited Canada last month, the immigration official made me feel like I was being interrogated.

After standing in the usually queue for my passport check at the airport for about 10 minutes when I was my turn, I was asked the usual questions to which I gave the usual answers. Then, instead of letting me pass through I was directed to go to another room. I don't know why. I was the only one from my plane who was told to do so. When I entered that room, the there were about 30 people there waiting to be interviewed. Half of them appeared to be from Eastern Europe and the other half looked like they were Indian or Pakistani. They all had stacks of documents with them which the immigration officials went over with them. There were only two immigration officials on duty in this room. After a little over an hour, it was finally my turn and all I had to present was my Passport as no other supporting documents were necessary, supposedly. Furthermore, it was quite obvious from my passport that I had visited Canada and the U.S. almost annually previously. I really didn't know what the fuss was all about. Nevertheless, I was interviewed for about 10 minutes and was asked very detailed questions such as the names of all my family members, including their first names. Addresses of where I lived, they lived, I worked etc.. All the time this was conducted in a very unfriendly atmoshpere with the tone of voice bordering on being outright rude.

When it was over and I was allowed to pass, I asked why I was singled out for such an extensive questioning. Her only answer was: as I was not a citizen, every country has the right to check aliens wishing to enter.

For comparision, during this year alone, I have visited Japan, France, Switzerland, China and the U.S.. I have only received efficient and pleasant treatment from their officials. Especially the U.S., where despite all their security precautions, there were very short queues, and though they were thorough, they were cordial and fast. I entered the U.S. twice this Summer, and both times, the immigration official only took at most 2 minutes to check my passport, ask questions and even take my photo and finger prints.

Furthermore, this incident with the Canadian immigration was not an isolated incident. Though it has not occurred each time, it has occurred several times and it is enough to become a significant disincentive for me to visit my folks in Canada more often.

> If you are going to boycott anyone boycott China

It would be hard to imagine a more counterproductive course of action...

and enumerating the loopholes in 6.4 HUMANE HUNTING PRACTICES would make a very good reading comprehension test for 7th grade high schoolers.

canadian customs is really the worst of the bunch (what ive experienced.) they are terribly rude and you always leave with a poor taste in your mouth. if its not you getting interrogated its standing in lines watching people who are. i always enter on my canadian passport to avoid interrogation, but it rarely works. and i get the usual "what are you doing here, how long are you staying/who are you staying with, where do you live, where are you going, what does your father do, why does he live in japan, what does your mother do" some of these questions are pretty innocent but completely unnecessary.

I've never had a problem with both entering and leaving. Maybe try to stop looking sketchy or shady ;\)

Maybe customs is trying to fill in the holes that we have been rideculed about by other countries.

Have to remember that Canada/US is world's longest unprotected border. There are hundreds of km's where you can just step across.

Manda name change eh, I think border checks are just checks. Your going to get checked hard these days where ever you go. Ive seen the US the brits the koreans etc hard check people.

Customs officers are like the police but with a hell of a lot more at stake if they let someone bad in the blame fall right back onto them.

On the topic of Fishing France has killed the fishing industry on the east coast. Fishing right on the line and crossing it sometimes. I feel sorry for anything killed but the fact is there is enough seals to warrant the hunting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Your going to get checked hard these days where ever you go.
Fattwins, that was my point and that was exactly why I am so pissed with Canadian Immigration & Customs. I DON'T get checked hard either nowadays or before. The ONLY place I get this treatment both before and now is at Canadian Immigration and Customs. Even the Americans, with all their security concerns, were civil, efficient and quick though thorough.
  • 2 weeks later...

have you guys been to Australia ? How do they (the Ozzies) compare with the Canadians ? I always get more than my fair share when entering Australia. I have seen Australian customs get pretty tough with people on occasions, although they usually only want to pull my bags apart. Of course they never have (or will) find anything, and I always take a certain satisfaction in making the customs guys repack my bag to it's original condition - presents rewraped (back to Japanese gift wraping specs), cloths refolded and all.....

At least being questioned returning to your home country, you can lead them along the garden path for a bit. Afterall, they have to let you in eventually.

I have a really good story to share, however it will have to wait until I return home (for fear of not being allowed to enter.....).

Customs profile people for sure, I would say EVERY country does it.

My friend in NZ is totally bald (lost all in hair in a disatrous acne drug trial) he is tall and muscular and looks like a neo nazi skinhead (of course he isnt) but customs in NZ get him every time, take him aside check his bags thoroughly, searched him in a special room, the works. He is a honest hardworking clean guy - they never get him on anything they just think he looks dodgy.

Pisses him off no end.

I once arrived back in NZ with shaggy long hair and skiis and snowboard, looking really scruffy.

Customs had a good go of me, every friggin dog in

Auckland airport "made" its way over to me and had a extra long sniff. The super duper Xray machine checked my gear more thoroughly than usual, and they had a search. Why? because I looked dodgy.

Now I am clean cut and never have a single problem

No offence stripper on Coke but when you were stopped were you looking a little scruffy or dodgy or were you clean cut? are you a big tough looking person? just a thought.

As far a rude goes the rudest prick I ever met was a dude at Heathrow. Complete and utter w$%ker. Treated me like an Al Queda criminal trying to terrorise England. :rolleyes:

Australian customs are C*nt's.

Since travelling with my son it's been ok, but when it's just me (& the wife) they are 9/10 times pricks.

I also make them re pack our bags.. which sometimes takes a bit of effort, but hey, If they wanna open and un pack then it's their responsibility to return the goods to where they came from.

kamo, I try and always wear a dress shirt and pants (or jeans) when I travel. I never carry record cases or anything like that (I am a dj who plays abroad occassionally). I am not a huge dude, but I'm not a small dodgy looking geezer either. I do shave my head though, so I've put it down to that. I also used to work for the embassy, but I thought that might even have helped (having been security cleared and all that jazz).

When traveling back to Australia I don't even bother trying any more - fvck 'em ! I agree with Indo, Aust. customs are c*nts. Although, to be honest, I think they are more concerned about someone bringing an apple or orange into the country rather then specific searches for drugs or weapons/explosives

I find greeting airport folk heartily as though I've traveled all that way just to see them predisposes them to go nice and easy on my bags.

English security at Heathrow before getting on the plane was reassuringly tight, although English customs don't seem to exist anymore - just 3 old lags propping up a partition, shooting the breeze, and ignoring the streams of passengers. Nice work if you can get it. Fire them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
When I visited Canada last month, the immigration official made me feel like I was being interrogated.......
That's because us canadians can pick out the dodgy ones from a mile away. \:D ;\)

Don't even get me started on Canadian immigration. My best friend(canadian) and husband(kiwi) of nearly 10yrs returned to canada after living in NZ for several years. He had applied for canadian residency just after they were married in canada(and were living there at the time). He was turned down. So they went to NZ.
Upon thier recent return to canada he has applied for residency again. It turns out that he is already a permanent resident - or so Canadian Immigration has told him. But in actual fact he is not and nobody seems to know what the true story is. So after nearly 3 months of waiting for immigration to sort it, they have gone to thier MP for help. What a load of bollocks.

For the record....NZ immigration is equally crap.
But then aren't most gov depts?
Ah...what were we talking about again....?

Ah yes....thank you.

I remember the early 80's "shock-horror" seal killing films they showed us in school. They were vicious...totally inhumane.

Glad to see they are training people how to properly "bash" seals.???!! confused.gif

All sounds pretty gruesome to me - even tho i come from a family who's men are "hunters".