According to the Japanese, it seems a Japanese winning is a done deal.

According to the Brits, it seems Radcliffe winning is a done deal.

Perhaps a dead heat?

Marathon??? who cares? the real action in in the blue ribbon event the 100m sprint.

Greene, Powell, Gatlin, Crawford and Obikwelu are all SMOKING! in the heats, all of them were just cruising and posting sub 10 secs.

The World record may well fall tonight you mark my words.

Cant wait for this one!

9.85 not a world record for the guys, but a good time.

Yep Radcliffe bombed I really feel for her, most dominant female runner of her generation but no glory at the Olympics, bombed last time bombed this time too.

Fattwins it was a slow time but remember it was a very tough course (in sweltering heat) with a long uphill section in the middle, it wasnt the usual flat course they make.

Considering all the factors I think it was a pretty sharp time.

Very slow, but esp in conditions like that the marathons not about the time but positions.

I was secretly dreading a 1,2,3 for Japan - the hysteria of that would have been deafening for months to come...

One (British) report I read said it was switched from morning to afternoon for the US TV schedule.

Radcliffe looked a goner for five km before she stopped. Her head was all over the place. It's pretty tight to suggest that she just gave up coz she couldn't win.

The upshot of all this is that Japan has a new heroine and we should see less of Naoko "can't be bothered with the Worlds or the qualifiers but I like doing adverts" Takahashi. Thank Christ for that!

FWIW, I don't suppose the next one in Beijing is going to be much cooler.

Hey wiggles thanks for the mail was at a wedding will email soon.

Yeah Takahashi was stupid in the way she planned but will have to change to get those sponsers back. I expect to see her at the worlds. I personally dont think this Japanese girl has it in her to run fast times, but we will see.

Everyone has known for more than 4 years the marathon was going to be run in warm weather. Don't tell me some runners were expecting a tepid 16 degrees or something (at least in Greece it's not too humid - nothng like what Beijings going to be like). It's called prearation and aclimatisation. Just because you are the world champion, you still have to prepare, just like evryone else. It seems (judging from the event itself) some were better prepared than others.

Perhaps with the marathon we could do something.......... Let's take the judo thing one step further and give every competitor an equal medal.............this way we don't even need to run the race, we can schedule it for whatever time suits......... ;\)

That was the guy!

It said on the news that he's going to be garrotted at IOC headquarters, and that Juan Antonio Samaranch is coming out of retirement to oversee the ceremony.

They also said on the news first that he was Airandojin, then that he was Igirisujin. mad.gif

This kind of misreporting throws some doubt on the method of his punishment. Maybe in fact he's going to be broken on the five wheels of the IOC rather than Samaranch's favoured Spanish method.