Sports that should not be in the Olympics

I guess there was more than 1 game because the 1 I watched we did pretty sad. The 6 innings I watched we didn't get any points and the Japanese kept getting runs in.

Baseball isn't my thing though. Don't really know much about it as I never really played very well when I was on a team. Something about not being able to hit the ball.

We lost to Japan before yes but we play japan for the bronze today. That would be are best ever in baseball maybe best only as it might get tossed and the other countries like the USA, Mexico, D. Republic, Port rico, Cuba are tough to beat and only 2 teams from N.America can go.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Rugby doesnt belong for the same reasons as Baseball too few countries find it a viable sport.
I disagree with this, Rugby is a worldwide sport, much more so than Baseball. I am not that interested in it being at the Ollies but if it were you could have Rugby Sevens tournament - all over in Two days and requiring only one stadium.
Perfect for the Olympics
Starters would be

Australia*
Canada* -Yes you guys play and have a semi decent team
USA
South Africa*
Romania
Georgia
Italy
France*
Ireland
Britain*
South Africa*
China
Japan
Argentina*
Uruguay
Namibia
New Zealand*
Cook Islands*
Fiji*
Samoa*
Korea*
Kenya*
Tonga.*

* = already competing in the World Sevens circuit.

Those countries are widely distributed geographically

Compare that to Handball which is predominantly a European Sport
France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Croatia, Spain, Iceland, Russia, Slovenia.
9 out of 12 teams at the Olympics are European.

Rugby is far more diverse and widespread and would undoubtedly generate more interest worldwide than handball.

But as I said I am not that interested in it at the Olympics, I can see Rugby everyday normally, I want to see the stuff I rarely see like swimming.
 Quote:
Originally posted by veronica:
Syncronised swimming - what IS the point? :p
perfection.
I like it, its fun to watch.

Beach Volleyball though aside from having a perv at chicks wearing skimpy bikinis and rolling in the sand what is the point?
I heard backyard cricket will soon be added too.
:rolleyes:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Mountain biking is in Davo!
Yep saw it yesterday on TV, toughish course but some really bad riders in the female division - how did thye get to the Olympics?
Havent seen the Mens yet.

Yeah hard Mtn biking course. I saw the start of the mens, and they showed a classic sequence of about five bikers coming to grief on one particular corner in a very technical downhill.

Well spotted with the rugby there kamo. I'd love to see the game get much bigger internationally. The Olympics could only be a good thing for countries which have the talent but lack the financial resources. Countries like Samoa and Tonga in particular, who lose so much of their talent because of this. Fiji is already a giant in world of sevens rugby and I'd love to see a final between the All Blacks and Fiji.

The problem at the Rugby World Cup is the often huge disparities in competative ability, which leads to some awful walkovers. Sevens is a fast, exciting and far more accessible version of the game for viewers unacustomed to rugby. It also levels the playing field considerably.

Baseball and softball will get the boot but I figure it wont happen till after bejing. The reason being that China have been building their teams up for it.

If they were gonna stick rugby in I figure that it would be the full version. I havent heard any talk about 7s been sloted in.

I love beach V-Ball its something we all play and all you need is sand and a net. My buddies back home used to build the courts in their back yards. A keg and a tourney once a month.

The hammer thrower from hungary has turned out to be a tosser.Dude went to the pisser before his last throw. His training partner was already caught why would he even think about trying it.

I know very little about this, but will the number of events just keep on increasing as more and more "sports" claim they should be in there?

I wish they'd take football out of it. Completely unnecessary.

Yah!!!!

Cheers to Canadian Rugby!!!!

I didn't know we had a decent team. Pretty amazing since it gets almost no coverage and I'm sure the players get paid next to nothing. We do start pretty young with good boys and girls high school leagues though.

Did Australia really end up with teh 4th largest medal tally? That doesn't seem right for such a small country (20million). We spend WAY too much on sport if it is the case. It is very good to do well but a bit of proportion is called for.

And so ends my olympic opinion for the next 4 years.

\:\)