I love beer, but once they get strong I almost can't drink them. I was talking with a friend last night and we both remembered a beer called Carlsberg Special Brew. That stuff was just so strong, I remember hating it but actually drinking it sometimes before a night out for its quick getting pissed effects. And it sure worked. It was truly nasty. I can't remember what % it was but guess around 8. Any stronger beers out there.

That wouldn't be allowed in Ohio...at least 2 years back anyway - haven't kept up to date

>

Feb 4, 2002 - An Ohio lawmaker has proposed allowing state residents to brew and drink stronger beer. Ohio currently limits beer to 6% alcohol by weight, and Rep. Jim Trakas would boost that to 12%.

Although some southern states limit beer to 6% alcohol (and Utah and Oklahoma only allow breweries to sell 3.2% abw beer except in state run stores), brewers in state surrounding Ohio do not operate under such strict definitions.

Specialty breweries such as Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland said they can't compete with unchecked competitors from both nearby states and foreign countries. "Booze, gin vodka whiskey, wine cordials are all higher in alcohol, and we feel why would beer be discriminated against?" said Great Lakes founder Patrick Conway. "People who would drink a more full-bodied, higher alcohol beer would be the kind thinking about the product, not abusing it."

Opponents are already lining up to fight the measure. "People will focus on that beer to get a higher kick, but you also have the problem that other brewers may come to town and say 'Why can't our mainstream beers have the same high octane?" and that will multiply the problem," said State Rep. Ed Jerse, (D-Euclid).

A vote is expected this month.

Jesus Christ 'lawmakers', how about letting beer drinkers decide what they want to drink, and throw them in jail if they break a law that matters to anybody else? Didn't think of that angle did you?

I'd prefer to drink English beer at 4% than Japanese beer at 5%.

When I was at Uni there was a small micro brewery, the name of which eludes me but you could buy kegs of beer called "terminator" and "super terminator"

the former was maybe 8% and the latter was 12%.

My memory is rather fuzzy on this now as the brain cells that were supposed to remember were obliterated by the mentioned product! \:D

It was nasty stuff, but got you from zero to happy in one glass.

Found this site while browsing, definitely worth a look Rate beer

its pretty good.

Here are the top 25 beers in Japan on this site

1 Kikusakari Kurakagami (Mirror of Sake) Daiginjo Sake Kiuchi Brewery 5 3.73

2 Hitachino Nest New Year Celebration Ale Kiuchi Brewery 95 3.66

3 Yona Yona Ale Yo-Ho Brewing Company 6 3.49

4 Hitachino Nest White Ale Kiuchi Brewery 103 3.39

5 Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale Kiuchi Brewery 17 3.32

6 Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale Kiuchi Brewery 55 3.3

7 Sapporo Classic Sapporo Breweries, LTD 13 3.27

8 Asahi Black Asahi Breweries 31 3.23

9 Hitachino Nest Weizen Kiuchi Brewery 85 3.21

10 Kikusakari Tarusake Kiuchi Brewery 5 3.21

11 Sapporo Black Sapporo Breweries, LTD 26 3.04

12 Yebisu Black Beer Sapporo Breweries, LTD 8 2.96

13 Gekkeikan (Laurel Crown) Cap Ace Sake Gekkeikan Sake Company (Japan), Ltd. 5 2.92

14 Hitachino Nest Lacto Sweet Stout Kiuchi Brewery 86 2.79

15 Suntory Malts Super Premium Suntorys Limited 6 2.76

16 Sapporo Reserve Sapporo Breweries, LTD 60 2.56

17 Sapporo Super Premium Yebisu Stout Draft Sapporo Breweries, LTD 87 2.54

18 Fu-Ki Sake Godo Shusei Co. ,LTD. 6 2.44

19 Asahi Draft Beer Asahi Breweries 10 2.4

20 Suntory Malts Suntorys Limited 5 2.29

21 Asahi Super Dry Asahi Breweries 285 2.28

22 Kirin Ichiban Kirin Brewery Company 242 2.26

23 Sapporo Premium Draft Sapporo Breweries, LTD 397 2.25

24 Orion Premium Draft Beer Orion Breweries Limited 26 2.23

25 Ginga Kogen Stout Ginga Kogen Beer Company 13 2.13

might have to try a few of those ones at the to of the list

Yeah, most of the things on that list are pretty horrible. The black beers are mostly drainwater from newly resurfaced roads. Anything by Asahi shouldn't be on a list of good beer (Fact: Asahi is brewed from old 1 and 5 yen coins).