I know the amazon thing has been done before but I am only interested in the used books.

How long has it taken used books ordered from the US off amazon to reach you? I am in a hurry to get something and am deciding if I should just shell out for the new one off amazon.jp

I`m the opposite i like used books, they have a history and feel more friendly. Especially when they`re books passed on to you by friends or family.

You might be interested in this site if you want to look for used books in japan. Though haven`t had the chance to use it myself yet so don`t know how good it is.

http://www.booksatcaravan.net/

I'm waiting for something right now. They shipped it surface (not my choice). You can check out the shipping info before you buy.

You might find it quicker to buy from somewhere like Abes books or Alibris, if you can get good prices, that's usually quicker. Otherwise sure ,buy new.

I can cope with used books from family, but complete strangers from a shop - no thanks.

In a 2nd hand book shop near me there's an 2nd hand adult section - yuck!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
I can cope with used books from family, but complete strangers from a shop - no thanks.

In a 2nd hand book shop near me there's an 2nd hand adult section - yuck!!!
Thats sick eek.gif

I buy used Japanese books because I dont wanna fork out the entire price. I would borrow them from a library but I always highlight and write meanings in them. Dont think the library would like that ;\)

a book is a book is a book no? i've got no problems with second hand books, i love swapping books with other people, and when travelling swapping books is much more practical than lugging a stack of new ones around. and buying new books can be $$$

something i think would be cool would be to write your first name and and city in the inside cover of book then hand it on or leave it for someone else to pick up. it'd be cool to pick up a book and see that it's travelled around the world before ending up in your hands.

What are you people doing to your books that makes you worry so much where they`ve been? eek.gif

Books that`ve travelled have a story about them as well as in them. I really like that idea. Even more so with obscure books. Second hand philosophy books are the best. It makes you think about what the previous readers thought about it and adds a whole new dimension to reading.

Quote:
Originally posted by connackers:
What are you people doing to your books that makes you worry so much where they`ve been? eek.gif
Me thinking the same thing!

I read mine in a matter of a few days to a week at max once i have started. They only touch my hands ( no bodyparts lol.gif ).
What's the difference reading a book from a friend or from someone that you don't know?

is this really sick? - i love the smell of books and magazines - the mustiness of old books and all the inks in new magazines. mmm i like sticking my face up to the paper and inhaling deeply.

but everyone else here seems paranoid about picking up 2nd hand books, so maybe i'll have to kick my sniffing habit.

and no, i don't purchase (or smell) used, ah, adult mags

There are some books which you can find only at used bookstore. I have my favorite one near my office in Shibuya. I always find interesting books and I like my collection of books (not so many...) from this store.

> What are you people doing to your books that makes you worry so much where they`ve been?

Dropping them down the toilet and leaving them on the window-ledge to dry. If you've read books on the toilet all your life, it's bound to happen sometime.