I have been looking into getting a driver's license for Japan (I have a US one). It appears I'll need to take a series of tests (eye, written, driving) in a process called "gaimen kirikae".

I'm kinda curious if anyone else here as done it, and how difficult the test-part was (eg do I need to study up or not). Also, do you need your own car for the test, or do they supply one for you?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montoya: I'm going throught the same process right now, so PM me if you want some deets. Biggest hassle may be having the appropriate paperwork in order. The eye test is super simple (of course). The written test was just 10 simple questions done on a computer program entirely in English; it took me all of 2 minutes to complete. (Sample question: "True or False: If you run over an obaa-chan, you must back over her to make sure she's really dead.")

I take my driving test next Wednesday morning. They provide the car, I provide the beer. shifty.gif

Montoya, gaimen = licence for gaijins?

I didn't know there's such one.

I guess perhaps you need to read some kanjis for signboards?

一旦停止

停止

止まれ

etc?

Why do you want a Japanese liccense? I've been (illegally) using an international license for years. For an American it only costs like $10/year and it keeps you out of the japanese license 'point system.' i say illegally only b/c the J-rule is that if you've lived here a year you are required to get the J-license if you drive. However, i got a speeding ticket last year, showed them my int'l licence and no problem. i'm yet to think a reason to get a j-license. Montoya, you can get the int'l license by mail now. i'll look around i think i have a form if you want. let me know.

Furm, the rules were changed in 2003 that foreigners living in Japan for more than 3 months were required by law to get a J-license. Another reason that Int. licenses were banned was due to the fact that J-peeps would go abroad and get an International and drive on it here. Saved them loads of cash doing that.

Not to mention with the increase of foreigners in Japan on the rise, and that many of them were driving too, if they had an accident on an Int. license they couldnt get points for speeding, accidents, DUIs, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Why do you want a Japanese liccense? I've been (illegally) using an international license for years. For an American it only costs like $10/year and it keeps you out of the japanese license 'point system.' i say illegally only b/c the J-rule is that if you've lived here a year you are required to get the J-license if you drive. However, i got a speeding ticket last year, showed them my int'l licence and no problem. i'm yet to think a reason to get a j-license. Montoya, you can get the int'l license by mail now. i'll look around i think i have a form if you want. let me know.
You must be lucky then. I had a mate who got quite a hefty fine in Hiroshima for using an Int. mate. Not worth the risk to me which is a reason why I got rid of my motorcycle.

I was getting away with it for a while. You always get away with it, until you get caught.

Then that day happened, story in that thread frannyo so kindly posted above.

fukdane, sorry to here about that brah! As for me, I'm going to keep taking my chances. I'm outa hear in max 2 years and think I'll chance it.

I do know an old guy that worked in Hawaii for ANA many years that after retirement he came home to Japan and uses an int'l license to save money. As Yamakashi mentioned, it's not just us gaijin doing it.

frannyo, thanks for the link.

i have a j license and an international license. i checked into it an it seems that the law banning foreigners from using international licenses is invalid. the japanese govt signed up to the 1949 geneva convention on motoring and have yet to withdraw from it. that means a citizen from any country that has signed up to the 1949 agreement can use an international driving permit ( it is a permit really, not a license ) to drive when abroad, regardless of how long they have been there as long as the permit is still valid. the japanese have a very bad tendency to forget that international law supercedes national law - another case being discrimination against foreigners here.

know your rights and challenge the police who on the most know zero about law!

Quote:
Originally posted by frannyo:
Some fun reading for you Kintaro

fukdane weren't so lucky.....
is there an echo in here? ;\)
(see post 7 in this thread)

There is one bonus to having a Japanese Drivers Licence, its a great form of universally accepted I.D, better than a Gaijin card. I have found people are more receptive and comfortable when I use it for ID rather than my "Alien Card".
No one gives you grief about it where as the ole Gaijin card doesnt give good impression sometimes, in the past I have had a few eye rolls when I presented it as ID for whatever reason.

But Kintaro, you're so cool to be able to dodge the authorities like you do, BUT when you crash you may be in for a big suprise mate.

Most insurance companies go by the Japanese law ( mine initially said an International was OK then after more checking I found out different) and if you have been in Japan for longer than a year (not 3 months as yamakashi said...unless they have changed it this year again) then you might get away using you International licence to show a cop but to make a claim if you are involved in an accident or something they will come back to the new law and your car insurance will be void.

I get a new International licence every year but I got my Japanese one ($30) as i have a responsibility to my family not to **** them up if i have an accident..

I really hope that i can be as cool as you one day kintaro..

Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:

There is one bonus to having a Japanese Drivers Licence, its a great form of universally accepted I.D, better than a Gaijin card. I have found people are more receptive and comfortable when I use it for ID rather than my "Alien Card".
No one gives you grief about it where as the ole Gaijin card doesnt give good impression sometimes, in the past I have few eye rolls when I presented it as ID for whatever reason. [/QB]
very true

very true Indo very true, I cant imagine the nightmare of having void insurance after a crash etc etc.

Regardless of the international legality of it or not, I dont have the time or money to fight it in the courts. Sure you might be right but at what cost?. The hassle to get a J-licence is trivial compared to the hassle of a legal battle with the bureaucracy and insurance companies.