Leaving luggage at airports for a few days

Here's the deal. Going to Australia in June for a few weeks but on the way want to stop off somewhere in Asia for a few days. But don't want to carry luggage round with me all the time. What would be great would be if at the airport there was some kind of service that will store my luggage for 4 or 5 days while I enjoy myself, then I can pick them up and fly on to Oz. Trouble is, I've never done that and don't know if such a service exists.

Anyone??

Thats good news, hopefully the places I want to stop off at have similar.

I don't suppose airlines would send on luggage to the final destination without me and have some sort of pickup/storage service at the end destination where I can pick them up when I get there a few days later. That's asking too much I reckon.

Quote:
Originally posted by joshnii:
I don't suppose airlines would send on luggage to the final destination without me and have some sort of pickup/storage service at the end destination where I can pick them up when I get there a few days later. That's asking too much I reckon.
I dont see why not; But, with that you would have to contact the airline that youre flying with. But, again, for a fee Im sure you would be able to send them ahead of time, or get the sent after the fact.
 Quote:
Originally posted by joshnii:
I doubt they'd do that - unless you send it as paid freight.

Airlines generally refuse to carry unaccompanied luggage = possible security threat. eek.gif

Sending it as freight may be a cheaper option because of: load limits ($$ per kg), storage costs, ability to track it sucessfully, and the lower costs using a commercial carrier (freight company) rather than a public carrier.

Good luck.
 Quote:
Originally posted by fukdane:
What sort of costs might we be looking at sent as freight? For 2 25-30kg suitcases? Any idea
Sorry, NFI. But here is some info. got from the Qantas website that may help:

http://www.qantas.com.au/freight/dyn/products/unaccompaniedBaggage

'To avoid excess baggage charges, you can send excess baggage as unaccompanied baggage. This alternative means of transporting your personal belongings may not offer the convenience of having your baggage travel on your flight, but can provide a significant cost saving.

There are some handling costs and additional customs charges, but rates for unaccompanied baggage are often considerably less than those for excess baggage.

For a detailed cost estimate please contact your local Qantas Freight reservations office.'

My previous comment regarding unaccompanied luggage refers to those going in/out of the US, sorry. \:\)

I asked if I could do that once (from Europe to Japan) and they said no no nooo noooooo no no no. If the person ain't on the plane, the bag ain't either. That kind of thing.

I have used lockers in France before for a few days while I explored, I think most airports will surely have baggage lockers.

Quote:
Originally posted by SubZero:
Sorry, NFI. But here is some info. got from the Qantas website that may help:

http://www.qantas.com.au/freight/dyn/products/unaccompaniedBaggage

'To avoid excess baggage charges, you can send excess baggage as unaccompanied baggage. This alternative means of transporting your personal belongings may not offer the convenience of having your baggage travel on your flight, but can provide a significant cost saving.

There are some handling costs and additional customs charges, but rates for unaccompanied baggage are often considerably less than those for excess baggage.

For a detailed cost estimate please contact your local Qantas Freight reservations office.'

My previous comment regarding unaccompanied luggage refers to those going in/out of the US, sorry. \:\)
I have used unaccompanied baggage many times from OZ to here and if you fill in all the correct forms you can have it sent after you have left if you want it to meet you where you arrive at a later date.
Usually you are only up for customs duty if you are bringing in new things, mine was mainly Ozzie food and wedding presents and I was charged any tax, but I guess that would also depend on the customs officer.

I used these guys.

Better watch those Qantas baggage handlers. I don't approve of handlers raiding bags (which they do), but I do applaud this guy for being such an Australian clown/idiot that he wore the stolen item on the tarmac!!

Quote:
Twenty minutes after David Cox checked in his bags at Sydney Airport, he watched astounded as a baggage handler was driven across the tarmac wearing the camel suit he'd packed in his luggage.

The 34-year-old marketing manager was heading to Melbourne with a crocodile suit and the camel costume, both checked in as luggage 40 minutes before the departure of QF425 at 10.30.

Twenty minutes before take-off, as he sat at Gate 4, directly in front of floor-to-ceiling glass, Mr Cox's attention was drawn to the occupants of a baggage trolley tug being driven across the tarmac below.

"I'd heard a little kid say: 'There's a guy with a moose head', but I didn't even think to look," Mr Cox recalled. "It was a good three or four minutes later when I saw this thing go past."

What went past below was the trolley tug driven by a man, with a passenger wearing the top half of Mr Cox's camel suit. Gobsmacked, he watched the vehicle - and the camel-headed handler - being driven back and forward between the terminal and the plane.

"My jaw dropped," Mr Cox told the Herald last night. "And it wasn't just the one run, it must have gone around a couple of times."

At Gate 4 on Wednesday morning, things happened very quickly once Mr Cox had spoken with a Qantas worker at the customer service desk.

"I said to them: '20 minutes ago I checked my luggage through. I've just seen someone wearing part of the contents on the tarmac, and I want to know right now what you're going to do?' They were down within two minutes."

Qantas has advised Mr Cox the incident is now the subject of a full inquiry by the airline's internal investigations team and that it will reimburse him for dry-cleaning the camel's head.

The actual camel head in question.

camelmain.jpg

That camel head is class.

Interesting to hear about this I was under the impression that you had to be with your luggage as well (unless you wanted to fedex or spend tons of cash on sending).