I bet this thread gets read coz of that title!

Anyway, Morning Musume will never be the same, I don't know if I can continue being a fan.

"I have betrayed my status as an 'idol' with this scandal". Er, why????? wakaranai.gif

Have you ever heard anything as ridiculous as this (well, in the last 5 minutes anyway).

============================

Mari Yaguchi has been forced to give up her position as the leader of all-girl group Morning Musume in what has to rate as one of the most baffling scandals to have ever hit the Japanese entertainment business.

But the 22-year-old's fall from grace also serves as an example of the amazing power that management companies have over their "idol" charges and shows how the merest snap or crackle reverberates in J-pop.

Yaguchi's transgression was being caught on camera in a tryst with her boyfriend just a few hundred meters from her home at a time when her parents knew and approved of who she was with.

Yet the scoop photos taken of her were enough to drive her out of Morning Musume, an entirely manufactured group created and updated from failed contestants on TV amateur talent shows, but one of the biggest acts in Japan.

"I have betrayed my status as an 'idol' with this scandal," Shukan Josei (5/3) quotes Yaguchi saying in the fax she sent to media bodies announcing her resignation from Morning Musume. "I cannot continue under these conditions. I decided to take responsibility for my actions and consulted with my talent agency about quitting Morning Musume. The result of those discussions was that I would pursue a solo career."

Yaguchi was captured on camera simply getting into a car and walking alongside her boyfriend, an actor called Shun Oguri. A mutual friend introduced the pair and they began dating in about the summer of last year.

"Yaguchi apparently felt enormous pressure because of her status as one of the country's top idols," a TV network insider tells Shukan Josei. "Whenever she went out on private business, she always wore a baseball cap as a disguise, but it was always lower down on her face than it really needed to be to hide her."

Yaguchi was apparently shocked almost speechless after the scandal sheet "exposed" her, a sign the women's weekly suggests that the star regarded her "idol" status a little too seriously.

Accounts of Yaguchi and Oguri's love match are certainly far from scandalous, with Oguri witnessed by many on separate occasions as being the perfect gentleman who appeared to realize the chaste appearance his girlfriend needed to uphold in public.

Unfortunately for the pair, even the most innocent of relationships appears to have been seen as a slur on the clean name Yaguchi's handlers expected her to maintain.

"When other members of Morning Musume were exposed as having secret boyfriends, every member of the group was called into its talent agency and given a stern warning," a talent agency industry insider tells Shukan Josei. "They were all apparently told to tell the agency if they had found a boyfriend. Yaguchi never reported her relationship to the agency. And it had disastrous results for her."

Well, well.... as I posted my above response Siren changed his/her original "obviously you don't understand the meaning of free publicity" text to what is there now. That's why it might read a little strange now.

Mo Musu - boooooo. They have to be the leading candidate for biggest $hit group in this country :rolleyes:

As far as her scandal goes, what 22 year old isnt allowed to have a relationship? WTF? I wonder if she has a curfue as well?

While were on this topic - Seems that many "talento" in this country get paid peanuts. Theyre contract workers so all the commercials, appearances, dramas, and everything else they do is under contract. What a life that must be :rolleyes:

As much as we almost definitely all hate them ----- SOMEONE is buying their records!

I remember seeing the list of rich dudes every year around tax time - some of them sure are rich. I guess lots of the lesser ones are paid in peanuts though.

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
Mo Musu - boooooo. They have to be the leading candidate for biggest $hit group in this country :rolleyes:

As far as her scandal goes, what 22 year old isnt allowed to have a relationship? WTF? I wonder if she has a curfue as well?

While were on this topic - Seems that many "talento" in this country get paid peanuts. Theyre contract workers so all the commercials, appearances, dramas, and everything else they do is under contract. What a life that must be :rolleyes:
Sorry to jump back a bit but I found this interesting.

Yes, what a life it must be. I had a student who was talent-scouted by one of the (as she said) more reputable agencies. They meet the family and get permission from her and her parents to take her under their controlling wing. Get this, she was told that she must move to Tokyo and part of the contract states that she was to cease contact with friends and of course 'no boy-friends'.

It seems a good opportunity to begin a new career, but that means erasing your past. Imagine how many of those 'talents' their are out there who haven't made it and have no friends cause the company owns them. You said it...what a life that must be.

No surprises that I haven't heard from her since she signed.
  • 2 weeks later...