Good evening,

My name is Jens and I am from The Netherlands, Europe. Every year me and my friends travel to the European ski resorts (Austria, France, Swiss and Germany) to ride snowboards for several weeks. Ones in the two or three years we travel a bid further and see some interesting spots and resorts all over the world.

In 2005 we travelled to the Canadian Rockies to enjoy the fresh powder of Whistler, Blackcomb, Big White, Banff and Lake Louise. I can ensure you that that trip was awesome. Great athmosphere and outstanding conditions to ride one the prepared tracks or (even better) explore the back – country.

After our last trip to Châtel (France) this month, we decided to go further next year. I volunteered to look for great spots on our globe and I encountered some great and interesting resorts in your country (Japan).

My question to you lot is: Where should we definitely have to go to in Japan? If we come to your country for aprox 3 or 4 weeks, what would you suggest us to visit? We prefer resorts where the possibilities of backcountry are available, but some of us (2 persons) aren’t very experienced and would like to ride on prepared tracks/ runs. Where can we find the best free ride possibilities and where is the main – fun park – resort?

Definitely, snowboarding will be the main course during our journey, but discovering the Japanese habits and cultural will be part of our journey. So next to the snowboarding possibilities we are looking for cultural aspects too.

Last but not least: what about accommodation and travelling and when are the conditions the best? In Canada we stayed in Chalets / Lodges and Apartments, what can we aspect in Japan. And which way of travelling is the best and in which period?

I am looking forward to hear from you all. Every suggestion / tip is welcome. If necessary you can also contact me by email: Jenson100@hotmail.com.

Thanks and talk to you later!

Jens

You have time I'd spend a lot of time reading! Good luck.

If you wanted a good atmosphere and a bit of culture I would say you need to put Nozawa Onsen on your agenda. (Unless it is Australian culture you want, in which case Niseko and maybe Hakuba might be on the cards ;\) )

Niseko has some nice back country; Moiwa and the nitonupuri/chisenupuri are good powder fields for beginners. There's yoteizan if you want to hike that, and back bowl/ozawa are fun powder bowls as well.

Hakuba also has great back country, or so I hear, and lots of groomed runs as well. Otherwise I'm clueless when it comes to back country! \:\)

The easy access to great backcountry in the Hakuba Valley would have you put it on your list. good place for the inexperienced ones in your group to learn as there is a lot of stuff just off the side of runs that funnel down into valleys with easy walks out. The experienced guys will have endless opportunities. You should hire a van and that will allow you to travel all around the Japan Alps

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ OZ:
good place for the inexperienced ones in your group to learn as there is a lot of stuff just off the side of runs that funnel down into valleys with easy walks out.
I guess those funnels aren't dangerous then? confused.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
 Quote:
Originally posted by TJ OZ:
good place for the inexperienced ones in your group to learn as there is a lot of stuff just off the side of runs that funnel down into valleys with easy walks out.
I guess those funnels aren't dangerous then? confused.gif
It sounds like Jens experienced crew might know what they are doing. I am sure they will scope it first.
Got any positive feedback for Jens there Kuma?

Great to see the information comming so quickly. Tenjindaira, Hokkaido, Hakkoda great names, but for Europeans like us totaly unknown. Any change some of you know interesting websites where we can find more information?

What about traveling? When we were in Canada we had a "giant" Ford Excursion. 7 persons including snowboard gear was no problem. In Europe we mostly rent a 9 persons van, which is ideal for 7 persons too. What about the posibilities in Japan? What would you suggest? Renting a van or use the public transport (busses and trains)>

Last but not least can someone give us information about accomodation? What type of acco is most common?

Quote:
Any change some of you know interesting websites where we can find more information? Last but not least can someone give us information about accomodation? What type of acco is most common?
Have you tried
http://www.snowjapan.com
?

A bit of a look round here and a search on google will surely let you narrow things down a bit. Try the search button on the top of these forums....

Jens

If you would like to rent a van in a car-rent place, you need to get back there to get the car back as far as you don't choose an option to get the van somewhere else.

In many car-rental shop, it seems that you can not choose the option later, you just need to choose it when you SING-UP.

So, if you rent one at Narita and back to there to get it back, no problem but if you would like to rent one at Narita and would like to get it back at Osaka, you need to choose the option on signing up.

Not sure if you would like to take "JR pass", but it seems that you can't get on "Nozomi" train - the fastest one - on Tokaido and San'yo Shinkansen line. All you can get on is "Hikari" and "Kodama".

Good luck

Thanks,

We already fugured out that renting a car is the same as in Holland. You need to be sure were you gonna drop off the car afterwards. That shouldn't be a problem.

This website is absolutely great. Lots of information and easy to find. We are all very excited now and already thinking of comming to your country in the end of january and beginning of february. What about the snow conditions then?

bologne. All those complaining they had a weak winter, please only complain about your location, not the region as a whole.

Sure, it started off slowly compared to other winters, but february and march rocked. We had patches of trees previously unskiable open up for the first time. (and that combatted undergrowth of an obsurd height.)

I'm sorry some down south had resorts close early, but we up here were parading in our trees for a solid 8 weeks after our base arrived. albeit, I never had to shovel my driveway down here in the valley, the snow-line lingered just below the base of the resort all winter... giving the illusion that winter never came to town.

Quote:
Jan/Feb you will find lots of snow. Perfect fresh snow everywhere.
 Quote:
but february and march rocked
So which was it again? ;\)

So your region didn't have a weak winter then? Was it a good one? Perfect fresh snow everywhere? That sounds good, but the fact is that most of Japan - and most of the most popular regions - did have a weak season, so I think a generalisation is quite acceptable.

If you are interested in learning a bit more about Japan culture etc, I would say don’t go up in Hokkaido but stay on the main island “Honshu” instead. Not much traditional Japanese places there, the only thing that is becoming a big sightseeing attraction spot is the “little Australia” up in Niseko.

Staying in Tokyo will probably enable you guys to travel around a bit in Fuji-Kyoto for example, and also be 2-3 hours away from major mountains.

PS: Most of the posters in this forum are not Japanese, so it’s not really our country. I would say though that its a country we really love. \:\)

I think the majority of regions have probably had a season that could be categorised as "really poor" (and "totally shite" compared to what they are used to) - but we do have high expectations of huge walls of snow and regular topups. It just didn't seem to happen this time round, but this happening is very rare so we can fully expect to be back to something like normall next season. Hopefully.

Tohoku seems to have done better.

That's my prediction for next year \:\)

As samurai wrote, we had a scratchy start after a couple of typhoons melted the base. Since the end of December, all out local areas have been operating normally, and they're still open.

This season, I've picked up two scratches in my skis, the first in 3 seasons. I've had about two sessions on crusty or icy snow. The rest of it has been fresh snow over a solid base. No complaints here.

Quote:
Originally posted by IIIII:

So your region didn't have a weak winter then? Was it a good one? Perfect fresh snow everywhere? That sounds good, but the fact is that most of Japan - and most of the most popular regions - did have a weak season, so I think a generalisation is quite acceptable.
Zao came around. And I know most popular regions had a weak season, hence my request; please don't knock the whole region because your resort got a dry one.

All winters are different. I know this one took its toll all over the world. (which really explains why so many euros were visiting zao this winter)

perhaps I should keep my mouth shut about my fresh stashes.

oh well... spring came. Pow season is over unless we get a cold system move through.
 Quote:
please don't knock the whole region because your resort got a dry one
For "your resort", read "most resorts in Japan". Slightly different.... Whatever, glad you had a decent season. Lets hope we all do next time! \:\)

I think staying in Tokyo as a base of operations would suck terribly! Unless you love every thing and every place crowded??? I live here full time (for 20 years) and I avoid Tokyo passionately. Stick to the small towns where Japanese people are so friendly! Nagano maybe, Gifu-ken somewhere, That way if you're coming mostly for the snow sports you won't have to travel at all. Just step out of your hotel, walk down the street, slap on your board, and get on the lift.

Japan is a strange place when it comes to snow sports. There are like 10 or 15 different ski resorts all within a 30min. drive and then nothing again for 4~6hr. down the road. If you're just resort hopping Nagano seems like one of the best places. Home of the 1998 Winter Olympics and coming again in 2010 from what I hear. I would come in early Feb. if you like to ski in snowy weather otherwise march is great for skiing in shorts!

I just got back from skiing and boarding in Nagano a few days ago. I wore just regular levies and a Japanese work shirt - not even any gloves... tho I had some with me just in case. I was sweaty even dressed like that. Late March and early April usually the snow is kinda heavy from the sun though - unless it's right after a nice snow storm. A lot (most? All?) of places are closed down by mid to late May.