yup, smack in yamagata.

I think big-will is a canadian, defending his 2010 rights. Good on ya will. Let's see how long we can drag this out before he learns the correct answer to his god-awful mistake.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
I was just jocking, but if I find someone to tag along from Tokyo, I might as well do. \:\)

Its kinda hard to do the 400 km drive up to Yamagata just by myself.
Were are you guys based, in Yamagata city?
It's just over 300km from central Tokyo to Yamagata, and you turn off the expressway before Yamagata. It's an easy drive, Tohoku, then Tohoku chuo expressway all the way.
 Quote:
Originally posted by quattro:
2014 will be announced in July. Looks like the short list is PyeongChang, South Korea, Salzburg, Austria and Sochi, Russia.

And the winner is?
Salzburg is in another league from the others. Must be Austria I think.

Thanks soub. thumbsup.gif

Thats 350 km purely on the highway (shibuya IC-Yamagata zao IC), so even if I go averagely 120 km/h all the way, it will still take me 3 hours.

Plus some Tokyo and local Yamagata roads traffic, there is no way you can do that route in less than 4 hours.

Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:
 Quote:
Home of the 1998 Winter Olympics and coming again in 2010 from what I hear.
I think you have that one wrong!
I do? OK, when were the Nagano Olympics? I always space these kinds of things off.

Ah, 94... k, thanks for the correction! It's good to know! Anyway the idea there is that it's a kewl enough place to hold the winter Olympics.

I learned how to ski in Big Bear Lake, California, where I lived for a few years (not 100 meters from the resort) and there's no way you would want the Olympics held there.

Chamonix 1924

St. Moritz 1928

Lake Placid 1932

Garmisch-

Partenkirchen 1936

St. Moritz 1948

Oslo 1952

Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956

Squaw Valley 1960

Innsbruck 1964

Grenoble 1968

Sapporo 1972

Innsbruck 1976

Lake Placid 1980

Sarajevo 1984

Calgary 1988

Albertville 1992

Lillehammer 1994

Nagano 1998

Salt Lake City 2002 Torino 2006

Thanks quattro!!

Quote:
Originally posted by samurai:

no, no, no. 1994= lillehammer. 1998 = nagano. My mistake...

and big bear rocks...

Oh, wow! Someone knows Big Bear! Awesome! I own a house on Summit Blvd. just a casual stroll from the Snow Summit parking lot.

If you know the boulevard I'm right next to that geodesic dome.

Haven't been there in years though. A friend is managing and renting it out for me. Hey, is John's "Demozine" still in operation? All the hottest new skis and boards for regular rental prices right there next to the parking lot?

Who said don't go to Hokkaido??? Shame on you! (God, I'm sounding like Thursday...)

If you have the time and money I'd definitely visit Hokkaido. Apart from Niseko, it is totally uncrowded. Even then Happo One in Hakuba is buisier on a weekend than Hirafu in Niseko. I rode Kurodake a week ago and our party was the only one on the mountain. The only tracks we could complain about were our own...

The BC around Asahikawa is fantastic and the snow is amazing, not to mention relatively stable. If you're only interested in terrain with the big lines then Hakuba (flag that, go to the rockies!) would be your choice - however if you want to experience something totally different then Hokkaido has it.

At the end of the day it really depends on what you want out of Japanese skiing, each area offers something uniquely different.

Four months ago it took me ages to choose where to go. FT gave me a good (and only slightly biased \:\) ) run down on some options which helped a heap. You can see it here .

Good luck with trying to figure it all out!

I am getting a good idea of where to go now. We'll stay on the main island and visit three or four resorts. Three or four days boarding around and then further (travelling or exploring the Japanes culture).

Last question for now. What would be your suggestion(s) for accomodation? What's the most common type and do you have typical Japanese options?

At this moment we haven't decided it yet. It really depends on what choices we have. If the resort is good (lots of runs and back country) the accomodation can be low - budget. We probably won't be in then very often.

But if the resort is minimal, we just want to have it a little bit of luxury. In Canada (Big White) we had a hot tub on the balcony.

In fact we are looking for all possibilities, but the accomodation has to fit 6 or 7 people.

In Europe we normaly rent a chalet, house lodge or big appartment. I really don't know what we can aspect in Japan.

I've never seen a hot tub in a room in Japan. It seems the hotel onsens are the attraction. some hotels/ryokans have private onsens, though not necessarily in the room. those are usually romantic getaways, imo.

If you're riding Hakoda (northern main island/honshu outside of Aomori, one tram, no piste, go anywhere, BC options.) The Hostel by Omori hills is brand new and accessible to nice onsens.