HR - Let the Corn Begin 3.1.2007- Norikura-dake

I took Friday off work to go hiking and it turned out to be the second best decision I made this week.

2 hours up

2451 meters above sea

15 minutes making snow pit

25 minutes down

1600 vertical skied

A morning well spent

I got to Hakuba and took the 500-yen bus ride to Tsugaike. Once off the lift above the gondola, I got out of my snowboard gear and into my snowshoes in 8 minutes. I'd like to get that down to 5.

Maybe the December issue of Coulior that had arrived at my house last Monday was rubbing off on me, but I loved being up there by myself and going at my own pace. Norikura is back country for beginners and it suited me perfectly. Safety was not much of a factor. I heard it had snowed Wednesday. It was a clear night Thursday and warm as this morning.

I got a late start hiking, at 11:15. I usually count off paces when I'm hiking up and only breathe through my nose. Today, I was counting off 6 reps of 6 paces each, then stop 5 deep breaths with my mouth or until I catch my breath. I'd like to think breathing through my nose helps somehow. Then repeat 72 steps. Counting off paces keeps my mind off how tiring hiking is and keeps me focused.

dizzy_73.jpg

On the face of Tengu-para above Tsugaike, I saw two others about 100 meters above me. They stopped at the top of Tengu by the shrine and I kept going. I reached the summit of Norikura at 1:25. Saw the same two guys on the summit and said konnichiwa. After riding down, we chatted some more and I found out they were staying at the same lodge. Small world.

norikura face:

dizzy_75.jpg

The snow changed at 2200m from spring corn to powder. Anything underneath 2200 is corn snow!!! Spring has come. Let's enjoying!

Thanks for snapping this photo, Abel!

hike up is the line above my goggles, my line isn't very clear, on the right 3rd of the photo.

dizzy_76.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
I got out of my snowboard gear and into my snowshoes in 8 minutes
I love it
Slippery slope to obsession there
\:D

Nice Dizzy
Norikura is a fun solo trip
Great that you made it up there. I feel just a tiny bit bad about last June...

Have they started Heli-skiing up there yet?
It's even better if you can get up there early and race the tourists to the top and then stealing their powder

You were able to hike up the steep part in your snowshoes?

obession? i found myself thinking of how many 10 meters per minute i was ascending. silly thoughts. but actually good for future reference.

i don't think anything of last june anymore. that's all in the past now.

the snow Friday was excellent away from the crusty parts. fast fast snow.

yes i need snowshoes with heel risers.

went up halfway to tengu the next day w/ kumapix, sock monkey, and the BCW and a ripper climber. i had a bus to catch and the rest topped out norikura. how did she like the run boys?

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
I took Friday off work to go hiking and it turned out to be the second best decision I made this week.
What was the best decision... or am I missing sonething?
 Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
Sound like you had great time dizzy.
Doesnt it make you a bit nervous to go up solo?
You should make a go of it Tsonda
Nothing quite like going out on your own
You'll definitly be more aware of your surroundings
A good feeling of freedom

I ve done it Toque and didnt quite like it. When I had no awareness of the dangers out there, I had that euphoric feeling of total freedom riding alone. Ignorance is bliss, damn be the time I started studying about avalanches and staff. cool.gif

Now I pursue to have someone tagging along with me. The thinking of being alone and sink in a tree hole for example makes me nervous. shifty.gif

I actually had a couple of thoughts for Toque on Saturday. First because I did a solo. Second because I found a nice-looking couloir he would have drooled over (I did not do it but saw it in the distance).

I also had thoughts for CB & AK as I came upon some spots that could spell trouble.

The great thing about solos is that you do things at your own rythm, you are on your own with nature. The downside is obviously safety. That means I had to turn around when I came accross what I considered to be an innocuous-looking but potentially hazardous zone I could not easily get around.

The hike was great, the skiing sucked, but I had a fun peaceful time. Was first time out on skis this season.

i don't know the line you're thinking of, FT.

serreche, that's the spirit. down coming tengu-hara, i also saw huge holes into water and thought of the two. pics, serreche?

oops, mejane, the best decision of last week was in the other thread. i left hakuba early to surprise my g.f. at her accoustic show sat. night. fubuki and his g.f. were in town and they ended up coming, too. great show and for a good cause (ACE and Friednsdorf).

ft, i hope that was ok about the rope. if not, let me know and i'll change it

Yamaski at Daigenta? I have never had the pleasure! I just thought I recognised that water from near the lake ;\) It's really pretty down that valley.