I gotta say Im getting worried. (honshu) The temps havent dropped. There is no base snow. There is no snow in the forecast at least for the next week. Resorts arent even wasteing their time making alot of snow cause the temps are too warm. I know I will get turns at some point but yeah Im starting to get worried about Xmas and New Years. I even gave uller a pair of old skis and that didnt work.

Fatts,

do you mean Allah? As in the great god?

To tell you the truth I couldn't really give a F$%&k about the lack of snow because I don't think that I can get out much this year due to other stuff. So if there is NO snow it makes it even better for me!

Having said that now, you watch it dump!

Too bad about not being able to get out there much. Allah, Jesus, I gave up on those religions long ago.

Don’t believe in anything that demands money.

Ullr wants but a few skis in the name of snow, so I will give him that.

yeah sucks not getting out as much, but shit happens and its not a permanent thing.

Everyone just needs to get really drunk as a sacrifice to the snow gods then he will listen. Though now that there's no snow, people probably are!

If Christmas comes and the resorts arn't open I will be pretty worried.

Backcountry I'm not to worried. I know some good spots that I can hike into if it comes to that. And there is lots of snow at higher elevations. Above 2000 metres there is probably 100 cm's plus in places and that is plenty to ski on.

Just tell me how everytime I look at the snowfall for Kurodake it seems to be getting about a foot every three days? What's that all about? And every time I look at the webcamas for most resorts in Hokkaido they show me pictures of people having fun on their skis, when down here in N. Honshuu there's nothing but rain. wakaranai.gif

If I remember correctly, during the 2000/2001 season there was almost no snow in Hakuba up to Dec 24th. I arrived on Xmas day to find it had dumped overnight and it continued to do so with ferocity. Knee deep heaven overnight. I'm trying to be optimistic cause I'll be there on the 26th no matter what happens.

I`m bricking it. Have a holiday booked for the 23rd which is going to be my only decent time on decent mountains this season. Almost went to Hokkaido but decided against it :rolleyes: I`m sure it`ll come good but the waiting is terrible.

Can it really only take a couple of days of decent snow to turn a snowless mountain rideable?

I remember the same thing Davo but I also remember that the lower base couldnt take the traffic coming down. Which led to rocks popping up every now and then. But still even then above 1200 meters the base was building. Toque I might come down and hit up norikura or others if this continues.

14 Dec 2001 - 40cm dump in Hakuba - people riding

1 Dec 2002 - Happo ridable above Gondola -

9 Dec 2002 - 40 cm dump in Hakuba

7Dec 2003 - 30- 40 above the Gondola at happo (olympic star gate)

15Dec 2003 - People riding most places and there was some decent snow.

14 Dec 2004 Sweet F.A! Cant search back to 2000 there was no forum, but it seems the snow is a tad late this year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Toque I might come down and hit up norikura or others if this continues.
Well we need snow as well on the west side of the alps. Tons of snow up high for backcountry but my resorts look the same as the Nagano ones.

We will see. If this keeps up I will start to plan a nice trip into a hut I know of.