There was a graph in the Asahi Shimbun last week showing the average January temperatures for Japan since 1960. I'm not sure how you calculate an average for a country, but I found the numbers quite interesting. I've digitised it, and plotted it in excel.

avtempyq2.jpg

Temperature is in blue, and 5-year running average in magenta. The most obvious feature, is that prior to 1987, temperatures were mostly negative with a few positive excursions. Since then the situation has reversed. Also, the January temperatures for 1972, 1989 and 2000 were higher than this year.

I'm not entirely happy with a national average, becuase local variations get masked. Those other warm winters may have been good snow seasons, or cold in the snow areas and simply much hotter in the SW.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. The data are here:

http://www.data.kishou.go.jp/mdrr/smp/en/index.html

Monthly means and totals by prefecture, through time.

avsnowbk9.jpg

I've ripped the January snow depth for Yamagata, re-scaled and inverted it (minus means more snow, plus means less). The range is from 35cm to 205cm of snow. Plotted together (blue=temp, magenta=snow), they track very well.

Clearly, this season is not unique. 1971/72, 1992 and 2000 had less snow.

Interesting soubs. You may well have had less snow in 2000, but round here that isn't the case. Goes to show perhaps how your season isn't as relatively dry as ours is here. I'd like to see the same for round here actually.

I wonder how they get the data.... the weather's been like the end of March all winter on Shikoku and ski hills in Western Japan that usually have a 2 meter base now are closing for the season because of no snow.

I like the way you inverted the last graph so that less snow looks better. Very positive thinking...

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Why Magenta?
Because it suits me \:\)

Some programs render colour in CYM (cyan/magenta/yellow) space rather than RGB. Excell is one of them. Dunno why.

OK muika, here's Niigata.

niigatatempsg4.jpg

Blue is Japan average, magenta is Niigata average temp, and red is Niigata average snow, inverted range from 220 to 3cm.

Bear in mind that the Yamagata and the Niigata measurements are taken in the centre of the city. There's a big difference in snowfall between Oishida and Yamagata, 50km south of here. The weather mostly comes from the NW: we cop it and Yamagata is in the lee of Gassan. The only time they get more than us is when it snows from a westerly, and even then, they don't get our volumes.
 Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
I like the way you inverted the last graph so that less snow looks better. Very positive thinking...
One of the skills needed to be a successful research scientist is to know how to make your data look good..

That's where we benefit from being in the colder north. I'm just back from Kurobishi kogen, and I judged about 80cm of hardpack around a scour at the base of a pylon. Despite the difficulties, there's plenty of snow here because it aint melting.

Bear in mind that the Yamagata and the Niigata measurements are taken in the centre of the city.

If that is the case it is almost meaningless when talking about Niigata as Niigata city is so far away from Yuzawa and Myoko where the snow is.

I wouldn't say they're almost meaningless. In fact, they're probably quite meaningful. Ski resorts don't get isolated snowfall, the cold weather affects the entire region and country.

Thanks for the interesting data. We are in a once a decade or two snow shortage though.

"We are in a once a decade or two snow shortage though."

confused.gif

We are not.

We are in a never seen before shortage. People 80 years old have and living in the area forever have never seen it anywhere near as little snow as there is this time.

Niigata city often gets almost not snow at all. It is a long way from this region, a two hour drive.

Depends where you are, but yes Niigata, Northern Nagano, Northern Gumna and of course all of the northern areas will get snow Friday night and into saturday morning, may fall as rain to start in the valey areas, but for sure will be snow before the morning. Looking at a good 20-30cm in some areas, not a lot by other years standards, but well better than nothing.

The freezing level by Sat morning from Saitama / Gunma upwards and accross is going to be at zero metres, so a very cold day Sat followed by an even colder night.

Quote:
Originally posted by DumbStick:

Will it be bringing us a fluffy white present?

Local variations. Shinjo is 20km north of Oishida, Yamagata is 30km south.

This is a warm winter, part of a warming trend. The temperature difference is about half a degree,

soubriquet_139.jpg

Here are the snowfall data. These stop at 2006, so do not include this winter. The difference is about 2m of snowfall, bearing in mind that Oishida gets more than both.

soubriquet_138.jpg

Here are 3 years of photos.

2005. The roof has been crushed. Thanks to insurance, in 2006 it has been replaced.

soubriquet_137.JPG?randNum=1172148391

2006. Less snow on the roof, more in the carpark.

soubriquet_92.JPG

2007. Not so much snow.

soubriquet_131.jpg

The third photo was taken on 22nd Jan, so, ahem, peak season.

I know how you all worry that I'm not getting enough, but you can relax. This was the bottom of Jangle Jungle today. Cover is still complete. It was raining and a bit slushy, but we should see some more snow tonight.

soubriquet_140.jpg