"lease renewal fees" or "there goes my f'in ski season"

So I just got the lease renewal papers for my apartment in the mail the other week.

200,000 yen just to renew my rental contract! WTF? I don't even like the apartment. $2000 dollars? Just to change the date, push print, sign what comes out, and put a stamp on the friggin envelope? No way.

So I've spent the past two weekends (both of which I had planned to spend up in the mountains) looking for a new apartment. I finally found an absolutely amazing apartment and signed for it today.

I'll take vindication over revenge anyday! I love this feeling.

The only problem is, I will probably lose two MORE weekends in the snow moving in.

Yeah, when I signed the contract, I was planning to head back to the states after it was up, so the renewal fee part of the lease wasn't even on my radar.

Now with a baby on the way, a sweet job, and and and. Well, let's just say I could be here for a while or two.

I flushed it down the toilet after wiping my @ss with it so this is from memory, but the bill broke down something like...

lease renewal fee: =1 month's rent (for owner)

insurance contract renewal fee: $300 (no, not the actual insurance premium, just grease)

real estate agent fee: 25% of subtotal

etc

The most absurd part about it is you gotta pay 5% sales tax on the fictitious "service" you're receiving.

Fark Tohoku Bum...

You did the right thing and moved out.. little farking leeches

I only wish that people in my many houses renting from me would pay KEY money and RENEWAL fee's then I'd definitely by well on ma way..

It's technically illegal to be charged a renewal fee, you legally don't have to do it. I know of 2 people who didn't - the landlords couldn't kick them out, but of course it doesn't make for great vibes between tenants and owners.

Key money is also not legal.

Tenants actually have a lot of rights here. I strongly suggest you find a tenants advisory service (sorry I don't know where, I think there's one in Shinagawa Tokyo) to find out your legal position. You could actually stay there without paying the renewal.

Definitely seek some counsel.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
$2000 is pretty well robbery. i usually don`t advise it except for the most dire circumstances, but have you consitered the milk-chicken bomb?
yes please tell. is it worse than the stink palm?

the milk-chicken bomb is serious buisness. it is not to be taken lightly, nor used except in the most extreme circumstances, like in retaliation for unjustified or racist eviction. It is as close to a biological weapon as i know.

But if you do feel like that applies to you, i will let you in on it.

for a milk-chicken bomb, you require

some raw chicken

the fattiest milk you can find

a mason jar with a very snug lid

and perhaps some screwdrivers.

just put the chicken in the jar, add milk to almost the top, and screw the lid on as tight as it will go.

there is the bomb.

place in in a very hard to access area. usually air ducts, or places where warm air will enable the milk and chicken to fester. Eventually the gasses given off from the rotting material will build up and break the glass, emitting a VERY powerful stench.

the marveous thing about this is, no-one knows when it will go off. Days, months, even years may pass. Make sure you are well away from the blast by that time.

it is nonviolent, and causes very little damage in the normal sense, but will be a headache for whoever is downwind.