I carried a board lock on my first trip to Japan and ended up not using it. In the Alps last year with a group of friends, no one locked their boards and I followed suit (my board was the last one anyone would nick).

I've got a new board & bindings this year and I'm intrigued to know if anyone (while in Japan) locks up their skis and boards while necking their ramen? Has anyone had anything nicked?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm Tsonda; I'm inclined to lock up as I have new gear, which equals paranoia.

Soub's reply has relevance to me personally, as I am spending most of my time in north Tohoku I may not lock up, as we all know northerners are a lot more honest than southerners ;\)

I've told this story before, but here goes...

When I first came here, she and I came home late from dinner one night. I locked the front door on my way in. The following morning, soubriquette's dad (he's nearly 90) complained that he couldn't get the door open, and it must be broken. Locking the front door was incomprehensible to him.

soubriquette doesn't lock her house or her cars, and typically leaves the keys in the ignition. When questioned about theft, her reply is "no-one would be that much stupid".

Soub: lol.gif I have a very similar experience and that same incomprehension from Japanese family when I question security/theft.

On my first trip to the 'family' in Akita my brother-in-law took us shopping. It was cold and snowing, so when we all went into the shop he left the keys in the inigition with the engine running to keeep the car warm. I couldn't believe it. My father in law's house doesn't have locks. This is a relatively rural area, I think in the cities, especially in apartments, the attitude might be different. I enjoy the experience, especially as we live in London. Then again the only time I've been burgled was when I lived in Newcastle (n.England) which rather undermines my north v south argument \:\(

Ah yes, back in those days we'd leave the front door open and leave trails of small notes to our bedrooms so that any unsuspecting burgler would know where to go. Ahhhh, those were the days. We'd leave glasses of milk next to the hifi so that would not go unapreciated.

WAKE UP!! this is about locking up your stuff at the resort. Lock it on the rack outside the cafe or lose it.

I use a combination lock on my stuff. I always lock cos there are a lot of shifty people where I ski. And I always leave the combi at the concierge. In case there is none, my combi is 1234.

Its not a matter of if it will happen but when will it happen.

Near related subject... I had near encouters with cars almost running into me at an average of about 1-2 times a month. I always had a feeling that one day I would get hit by a car in this country. Just a gut feeling, but on a day I wasn't expecting to get in trouble, BAAAMMM got sent over the handlebars because a driver decided of all times to start driving when I was dead smack in the front of his car.

I have the same gut feeling about my snowboard gear which is pricey to begin with. Even though there are many people who are honest (more so in this country then others) there is at least one dishonest person on the slopes at any given time. To not put on a 20 dollar lock on gear that can range upto the 2000 range is just stupid!! I lock up my gear because of security, and the fact that they will steal unsecured gear before trying to dink around with cutting a lock.

I might sound harsh about this but, I appriciate those who don't lock their gear because it gives me the better peace of mind that I will be able to know my board will still be there upon my return.

I realise there's a difference between a country town and a ski jo. I take comfort from the fact that all the punks are on boards, and wouldn't know what to do with my skis.

Leaving the car running while shopping is standard practice here too. One of my milf students once asked me when I expected to return to my home country. Answer: never, I like it here too much.

I don't disagree thursday as FR says I think its worth it for the peace of mind. Hence MRs T is buying a new sb lock as I write.

Gotta say though that regarding honesty Japan is unusual (obviously ignoring the organised crime and horrendous otaku murders etc) A friend lost an expensive set of binoculars in Osaka. We were passing the place where she lost them 3 months earlier, so she popped into the police station to see if they'd been handed in. I couldn't understand, as I waited outside, why we were wasting out time; out she walks with binoculars in hand. She didn't think it was anything special.

skis are different though. You can split your skis and put each one in different spots so that a thief can't just grab it easy.He's got to look for the other one! Also, snowboard bindings are easier to put on than ski bindings so grabbing a board, strapping in and taking off on it is totally doable.

I usually just keep a small lock in my pocket at all times. It's light so I don't notice it. One time though, the combination changed by itself. I guess from falling on it I had pushed the changed combo button and so when I locked it up and spun the wheel that became the new number. when i came out to get the boards I turned it back to the 'old' combination (which locked it!). I managed to get it open in 5 mins though. If you figure that people just spin it a half turn, if you spin it back a half turn you have a range to figure it out in.

One year at whistler in the summer, people were leaving their boards locked up halfway up the mountain so they wouldn't have to carry their boards home every night. Some thiefs went up one night in a truck and unscrewed all the bindings and took the boards.

Quote:
I have never heard of anyone losing stuff to thieves on the piste in Japan
 Quote:
I never locked anything until my brand new board got stolen after 6 days in Niseko
Thieving Aussie bursturds... ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by danc72:
I never locked anything until my brand new board got stolen after 6 days in Niseko.

A lock is a small cost to keep a joy board.
sorry to hear that Dan. You should've looked for it on the Quantas flights.

Never locked anything, never had anything stolen on the slopes in 10 years of owning my own stuff. The closest thing was a nice pair of gloves that went walking (at a backpackers in Japan no less)

my gear is old now,so noone would be stupid enough to nick it, if I had a brand new 90000yen Burton tray I would most likely get a lock for it.

Locks? dont put too much faith in standard locks, most of the locks I have seen being used could be quite easily cut with standard electricians wire cutters, which some one determined enough to steal a specific item might likely have in his pocket, most locks just keep the honest people away.