Hi guys, I'm planning to head out to Japan for some snowboarding and our initial plan was to head to Niseko, cause we'd meet up with a friend from New Zealand there.

Whilst looking for accommodation we got a good offer for Hakuba and since our New Zealand friend busted his shoulder, he probably won't make it anyway.

So I was wondering, which resort would you choose, and for what purpouse?

I've heard Niseko gets the best powder, but Hakuba has steeper slopes and a better park?

We're staying for 3 months, so the size of the resort (and price of a skipass) would also be things to take into account...

Thanks for your time and perhaps I'll some of you in either resort...

Apples and oranges...Night vs day...or so...they say...

Never been to Niseko and wouldn't bother purely because Hakuba is closer and steeper by a long shot if you believe whats to be read on these threads. The powder and terrain combo in Hakuba is waaay better than NZ.

3 months! eek.gif

I'm sure everyone else in this forum is now jealous!

Also sure, in both Niseko and Hakuba, few people speak Wallon or Flemish ;\)

>I've heard Niseko gets the best powder, but Hakuba has steeper slopes and a better park?

I think this above is what many people have mentioned about in this forum, too though I have never been to Niseko.

Have fun wave.gif

If you go to Niseko and you've got 3 months, it means you can easily try out Kiroro and Rusutsu nearby. A bit further and there is also Sapporo Kokusai, Furano, Tomamu and Sahoro. So there is still lots of variety from a Niseko base. Nevertheless, there is much much more at Hakuba. Not only do you have all the different slopes at Hakuba itself, but there is Shiga Kogen and others in Nagano, as well as all those in Niigata. If I had 3 months in Japan, I'd get that JR rail pass and do some 20 resorts within that time....10 of which would be in or near Hakuba.

cheers for the info so far guys and appologies for the not performing a search noobish like behavior. *cowers away*

still not entirely sure what to pick,... though Hakuba seems to be nearer other interesting sights and taking the trip from belgium, and staying this amount of time, i certainly want to take the opportunity to see some sights... otherwise i might as well have stayed in austria.

thanks again for your opinions, it seems either choice would be a good one. we'll just have to see which is more convenient.

Hakuba is a better base because you have resorts like Shiga Kogen, Nozawa, and Myoko, which all probably have some of the best BC and terrain in Japan no more than 3 hours away. If you wanna compare Shiga Kogen also is rated with the driest snow in Japan.

Though from mid-Dec through early March it pukes on Niseko so dont be surpised to wake up to 20,30-40cm dumps 5 days/week. Though when the snow stops will the mountain satisfy you for Spring touring? Doubtful.

If you've got three months, I don't see why you can't go to both. There's a flight from Sapporo to Matsumoto you can use.

Hakuba's got a lot to offer, but on public transport, it's not such a good base to visit other areas in Nagano if that's what you want to do. You'd be better off moving all your gear and staying in the area you go to.

I agree with Markie and Mr Wiggles. 3 months is a long time at one resort uless you have a very good reason to stay put, and with the transport system in Japan, there is no good reason not to spread out your trip, maybe even 3 or 4 resort areas...

And after a few weeks at Niseko, you'll be over it.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
It's called choice. It's because he can.
haha choice...because he can! Yeh, sticking to one resort when there is an abundance of ski areas is really a prime example of excercising choice, thursday.

I know everyone has the right to choose what they want to do. This is blatantly obvious. But in terms of taking advantage of opportunities, staying at one resort is just plain silly - in my opinion.

As for saving money by buying a monthly pass- I did that at hirafu last year and believe me, it makes you appreciate variety, the spice of life. Don't be a scrooge, fork out the extra and enjoy being able to choose to ride different terrain.