• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep i just checked i rappie is selling off last years snowmobiles on the cheap, check them out they are parked round the back.

bp he needed a letter with a phone number on it from yahoo bb personally delivered to his house by me, rather than just looking on the website confused.gif

anyway, i will ask a friend who will know places to get snowmobiles. do you think many people have them in japan? what about approaching the ski resorts, they might have one they want to sell?

My firend who works for a NPO researching forest dwelling mammals in Japan has been stidying the increased use of snowmobiles in winter times, mainly in Hokkaido (similar studies have been done in Canada also). He found that the use of them over about 4 years has been increasing quite significantly and has increased winter mortality of large mammals due to wildelife displacement and expanded home ranges therefore meaning more energy expended and the loss of land normally used by these mammals, for example bears. Also samller mammals have been effected by the compacting and erosion of the subnivean spaces (space between snowpaack and ground surface) as they depend on this for winter survival. Snow compaction often prolongs the melting of the snow also and thus leads to muddy trails and roads, which are then highly susceptible to significant damage and enlargement. For the same reason, snow compaction can lead to altered melting and discharge regimes, further increasing soil erosion.

Im at a loss of what to type in japanese for Yahoo auction BP.

My wife wanted the letter so she could better understand what she was calling about ebc, ie we had no net at home then.

I want a mobile for the resorts that are closing down not to access anything else. That will have low impact on the environment.

C'mon Fats, do your touring on foot, stay close to the snow. It would take little more than 2 hours to skin to the summit of Arai from the carpark. Its hardly steep, its a hill with 950m of vert. You wouldn't even need to maintain 10m/min of vertical rise. It couldn't be easier.

In response to global warming and rising fuel prices some resorts will shut, others will access higher and colder terrain to make a quid. Guess how they will do it? With helicopters and sleds. Doesn't make much sense. The Swiss are already about to roll-over to less restricted heli drops in an attempt to maintain ski industry revenue.

Although I use some of their services and facilities, I dislike the ski tourism industry (resorts, lifts, heli-guides)

nick make sure you get a pow machine, most sleds are gonna be useless in fresh hakuba pow.

those scandics(in the links) are work horses but not the sled for the deep stuff.

wide tracks and big lugs (2inch) and power ... a600 and up, better around 800.

unless you like digging all day and throwing your back out.

not sure what skidoos there using but resorts usally run on groomed roads and packed runs, if the resorts is closed there wont be any groomed roads or runs.

just something to think about. but a great idea to get sleddin'.

Got this ad posted on the company board. Might be of interest to you:

Helcopter:

- 2nd hand in good condition

- full set document will be provided

- price around HKD4.5M (CIF South East Asia) negotiable

- Helicopter is in Gold coast, Australia at the moment

we're not even an aviation company.

Fats, I am being a bit annoying by pushing my point here (lost of people on the forum ignore me when it suits them, don’t worry).

But are you really going to use a snowmobile to tour Arai? If so I’ll call you on that one: you can’t shoot down Niseko for being a small gentle hill and then turn around and use a sled to tour Arai, which is in the same gentle hill category as Niseko (with a cliff thrown in.) You could skin up either hill and ride back down in time for lunch.

I would understand a little more if you had a 10km approach along a 15 degree glacier or an alluvial valley to access some serious descents, but that isn’t the case. Arai is a local pimple, not mile after mile of terrain.

(perhaps for another topic, but has anyone ventured the terrain visible from the summit of Arai, looking over the back and to the left. I recall that looked pretty steep and unquestionably deep. Certainly a lot better than the Arai front side)