Just bought a nice swanky new pair and got a few spare lenses that am chuffed about. As sad as it was I was wearing them around the house last night trying them out peeling onions!! Just thinking about others thoughts on lens colour for different conditions. I used to have a yellow/orange lens which was good for most conditions but got a wee bit dark when it was overcast or low light. End of last year had a pink lens which I found loads better. Other peoples preferences?

Quote:
Originally posted by bongobongo:
I got my new skis and stood around my lounge on a 38 degree day wearing them.........
Hey! Steeper and hotter than Niseko! ;\)

I use those orange-yellow lenses for the reason you guys say. I don't know if there are better ones, but these work well for me. On very sunny days they are not dark enough and I squint a bit in the bright light.

At tremendous speed on an icy piste at 9am I sleepily tried a 180 over a roll on the way to the lift giving back country access. I caught my toeside edge whilst wearing a 10kg back pack. The resulting face-whipper into the piste put my lights out for a few seconds. It also broke my Oakley goggle lenses, splitting the inside lens top to bottom along the ridge of the nose. The split was wide enough to easily put my finger nail in it, ie, the benefit of double lenses was lost. I rode those lenses for two more seasons and didn't fog once. I changed the lens when they became very scratched from cleaning with a dirty sock. Damned if I know why people get caught in image and buy those fancy lenses that self destruct the moment you touch them with bare fingers.

I will always buy Oakley goggles (but never with those mardigras iridium lenses that look good in photographs but need to be handled with a pair of surgical tongs).

A person (whom I don't like much) punched me at 80% full power in the chest because when he handed me his goggles to hold whilst adjusting his gear, I almost touched the lens. He yelled 'don't touch that!' so I dropped them in the snow, like he ordered me to do. That's when the king hit landed on me. Its so much fun riding with wankers who love their goggles more than peace and harmony of the group.

Crikey! Was his name Steve?

Mine are orange yellow too. Probably 20 years old Carrera. I hate wearing goggles, and will always wear sunnies unless the light is really flat, so I guess that's why they've lasted. Probably another 5-10 years left in them. Did anyone say cheap?

I also wear sunglasses a lot of the time: hiking, traversing, riding out the flats back into the valley or sliding back through the resort at the end of the day. On an off-day, slow cruising around a resort with the girlf. Sunglasses are fine for all of that. I only put on goggles for the fast riding bits, or when it is super windy or cold.

i wear anon gold mirror and they work the best for me. they are not full mirror so i can see in bad conditions but are mirror enough for sunny days.

I've had Iris rose mirror which scratched just from touching the lens gingerly.

Oakleys aren't bad, just real expensive. Don't find them to not fog up anymore than other brands. Spuds don't fog up because he spends all his time hiking up hills. Goggles usually fog up on the lift if you have the hood down

Bolle. $50. Excellent, even after heavy use for 5 rather big seasons.

Double-lens, no exceptions anymore.

Rose. I give rose a B+. But its better than anything I have used in the past, including mirror/smoke, and orange. Have never used any designer tints. but can see how they could be better than what I use now.

Always carry a special goggle-wipe instead of a sock. Highly recommended.

yellow (aka 'urine stained world') is best for flat light / cloudy / snowing.

followed by rose/red - also good for flat light and your eyes don't get burned out if the sun comes out, like with yellow.

Those burnt orange,rusty brown ones are jack of all trades.

But chrome mirror wins, cos you can stare at girls in the lift queue without them knowing (as long as your tongue isn't hanging out).

Anyone use those fancy-pants adaptive Oakley lenses? and good?

eihter means these.

Beer_goggl_m883191.jpg

:p

or more prob something along these lines with the built in fan:

715757201036.jpg

.... draws airflow in through the lower edge of the goggle frame and forces humid air out the top at 15,000 rpm.

Smith do fan ones, called Turbo something or other.

Yeah, chrome is spring/summer, not trees. No girls to look at slyly in trees, so no point wearing chromies.

I like yellow.

Mellow.

Quote:
Originally posted by farquah:

or more prob something along these lines with the built in fan:
715757201036.jpg

.... draws airflow in through the lower edge of the goggle frame and forces humid air out the top at 15,000 rpm.
You'd want keep the inlets clear, otherwise the vacuum might might cause an "eyeballs in the fan situation" eek.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
 Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
I use my golf shades for walking around the resort,
You play golf??

Yuck.

No wonder you like Niseko so much.
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Ive got a pair of Oakely O frames with an Orange lens, 2 pairs of A frames - one orange and one blueish-tint irridium, and a pair of Dragons with a silver polarized lens + orange spare. I always carry an extra pair in my bag in case of diff conditions and or they just fog up.

lol.gif Spud lol.gif