Lifts moving at Ishiuchi Maruyama! (Only rice allowed!)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah the rice on lifts. Can't be long before it's featured in the local newspaper, it is every year after all. Would like to try it and see if I can tell a difference.

Don't know if hanging the rice changes the taste but Koshihikari is good, I order all my rice from some folks I know in Niigata, because the taste is good. But more than anything the water makes a difference.

Because althought Koshihikari rice is very tasty it tastes even better when eaten in Niigata cooked in Niigata water.

I can't believe people get all excited about rice. To me rice all tastes the same bland way and is just a filler before getting tucked into the really tasty part of the meal, meat n veg!

Me too. But my lady can almost pinpoint the prefecture tasting rice. It's mad. Then again she can't tell the difference between Cheddar cheese and Edam cheese, or Hersheys from Cadburys.

I'm no rice expert but I have had some bloody awful stuff once when I was in, where was it, Saitama. No idea where that rice was from but it wasn't good. There's definitely a difference to be had.

I used to be like that as a kid growing up in wimbledon. Rice was a mere side salad, a couple of spoonfulls was enough, I'd rather mashed potatoes.

BUT, as a grew older, Japanese food is like what makes the rice go down. (ie; hard to eat nattoh or ika-no-shiokala on it's own) Somethings go better with rice, some better with bread. And rice is bit like comfort food for the stomach, slow sustained realese of energy, makes you warm (like RYe bread)

but prefecture where it comes from ... wow! you can notice the grain size and texture but...

true Jynxx, the way you cook it definitely changes the minor difference I detect in taste. But that is a huge problem for me over here, because if I have to choose then I'd rather eat basmati, non sticky Indian style rice rather than the sticky short grain rice that is eaten here. That is the rice that we use to make rice pudding.

Most rice eaten is of the white refined variety and has a relatively high GI score

We eat himalayan basmati rice here. It's really yum. Wash it well though, I heard that some middle men put talc (which can cause cancer) in it to weigh it more. Pity because the layer close to the husk is nutrition rich.

I rinse it till the water is relatively clear, and boil it till the water evaporates.

The trick is :

1) Use a sauce pan with a heavy lid - if not put a cup upside down on the lid or something to weigh the lid. This retains the steam and acts like a pressure cooker.

2) Water level (amount) - for Japanese rice water level in the pot should cover your hands completely when your had is in there. (now don't fuss about having meaty hands) you will work it out. With long grain, (includes jasmine, basmati) add some extra water. Lift your hand out and take note of the water lever above the rice and increase it about 50%

3) Bring it up to boil on low heat. NEVER TAKE THE LID OFF until ready. Japanese saying " Hajime choro-choro, naka pap-pa, akago ga naitemo futa toru-na"

meaning - the sound of the cooking is choro-choro in the beginning, pap-pa in the middle, but never take the lid off even the baby cries !

3) Keep your ears close to the pot when you see less steam coming out of the pot. if you detect a little cracking like sound - rice is cooking directly against the wall. Turn off the heat.

4) Let is steam in its own heat for 5 min

5) Ready !

clap dance