ok here are some pics for toque and a few others who are interested in the mountains. the yari-daikiretto trip took 3 days, the rest are all single-day outings.

Tairappyo-Sennokura (Yuzawa)

2006.08.02.jpg

Kiotsu-sawa course (Yuzawa)

2006.08.03.jpg

Daigenta-Nanatsugoya (Yuzawa)

2006.08.04.jpg

Yarigatake-Daikiretto-Kitahodaka (Kita-Alps)

2006.08.11.jpg

Fuji-san

2006.08.26.jpg

Kagura-Gangamine (Yuzawa)

2006.08.31.jpg

Iijisan (Yuzawa)

2006.09.02.jpg

Ichinokurasawa (Tanigawadake) 2006.09.06.jpg

Thanks Montoya, they are good pics and alos very attractive mountains in summer, very clean looking. It is a nice aspect of Japan you don't see a lot of on the internet as most outdoors pictures on English speaking websites are snow related, and usually of a groomed piste in a resort at that. Did you pick any nice stuff in the undergrowth to put in your soba?

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Cool that you did the daikiretto
Was it as difficult as you thought it would be?
there were 2-3 places with pretty good exposure - overall it was pretty fun, lots of scrambling which we enjoy.

still, you had to pay attention. a few days later a local doctor working at Karasawa fell to her death near the Hidanagi-Peak area of the col.

if we have time this fall we might try to explore the Hotaka-area more, as well as Tsurugi and maybe even the mts around Hakuba.

Yah there are definitly some fun areas

My favorite wasn't the Daikaretto though

I really liked the scrambling between Kita-Hotaka and Karasawa-dake. A lot steeper and much more fun. Did that part 3 times I think.

Favorite part is the chimney you have to climb up into just before reaching the ridgline of Karasawa-dake thumbsup.gif

There is an American guy that works at the hut in the saddle between Karasawa and OkuHotaka. Nice guy and he does some BC skiing here and there.

Nice pics montoya try to make it to the hakuba party this year too if you can. My hiking boots have only seen the pavement so far. Dizzy has had 2 days now of picture perfect weather for his modified hike. Ill pick him up at either happo or tsugaike tomorrow.

Looks great Montoya. Excellent pics indeed! I have to make the effort to get up into the mountains more in summer. I enjoyed the mountains so much in Europe this summer and once I get settled down again I will definitely be back up there getting my hiking boots nice and dirty!

let's hijacking montoya's thread! lol.gif

great pics, montoya

any skiable terrain in tairappyo or iijisan?

which fuji course did you do? i went up kawaguchi in late july. sunny sunrise or cloudy?

did you guys camp or tent yari? your (i forget) wife's/gf's pack looks pretty light. chains and scrambling is more interesting with a heavy pack on. \:\)

daikiretto and tanigawadake/tenjindaira are definitely on my list before autumn is over.

hi dizzy, would be great to see anyone's hiking photos here also.

Tairappyo is a major yama-ski area. it also slides alot and when it goes it can go big. last year there were 3 fatalities there, 2 mountaineers, 1 skier. Iijisan, I think it's simply too steep, as in the snow won't stick for long.

Fuji-san, we hiked the yoshida-course from kawaguchi-ko 5-gome around 10:30 pm and reached the summit around 2:30am. Probably should've went slower as we got pretty cold waiting around on top. sunrise was ok, too cloudy to see much though. hiked down the gotemba side via the sunabashiri-route.

For Yarigatake, stayed overnight at the hut up there on the peak 1st day, then rented a tent at Karasawa the next day.

Daigenta-Nanatsugoya is a hard but fun hike, great views of Tanigawadake on the backside.

yeah still lots of mtns to climb before the snow starts falling. have my eye on tanzawa or tsubakuro-yari next.

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:

let's hijacking montoya's thread! lol.gif

great pics, montoya

any skiable terrain in tairappyo or iijisan?

which fuji course did you do? i went up kawaguchi in late july. sunny sunrise or cloudy?

did you guys camp or tent yari? your (i forget) wife's/gf's pack looks pretty light. chains and scrambling is more interesting with a heavy pack on. \:\)

daikiretto and tanigawadake/tenjindaira are definitely on my list before autumn is over.