Hi Everyone,

I've done a search on the forum, but have not had much success in finding what I'm looking for.

I'm going to Japan on the 30th of December and would like to go to Nagano to board, but was thinking there might not be enough snow....

Would Hokkaido be a better option for that time?

Really appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

Great!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Although I really wanted to see Hokkaido, I think Nagano might be better as it will mean less travel time from Tokyo airport.

Oh, and I really want to see the snow monkeys!

I guess booking accomodation should really be done pretty soon, I've read on the forum it fills up pretty fast.

Where are you all heading first this season?

sadglass.gif Hey Creek boy don't say it's going to be a 暖冬 winter. I spent last year in Europe salivating over the snow in Japan (though was lucky enough to get a fair amount in Avoriaz, France). My last snow trip to Japan (Christmas 04) had me nearly die from stress; not a flake of snow when I arrived in Akita, 5 days later I was out on a mountain. relief wasn't the word. I'm off back to Akita and as the mountains aint high I am hoping for a big dump before 30th Dec.... and so the sweating starts...
 Quote:
Originally posted by russ292:
Great!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Although I really wanted to see Hokkaido, I think Nagano might be better as it will mean less travel time from Tokyo airport.

Oh, and I really want to see the snow monkeys!

I guess booking accomodation should really be done pretty soon, I've read on the forum it fills up pretty fast.

Where are you all heading first this season?
You can fly to Sappporo from Tokyo in less time you'd take to get to Nagano from there.

Last Christmas the flight we were on tried 3 times to land in Sapporo but the storm was too much. We headed to Tokyo and landed there in less than an hour. Waited two hours for the storm to clear at Sapporo and took off. It took another hour to get there, so in total we were delayed some 4 hours.

Luckily the land connections, the buses and transfers waited for everybody.

So we're talking probably 6 hours from Tokyo to Hokkaido, give or take.

As much as I'd like to go up there, I think for my first snow in Japan, I'll try Nagano.

Has anyone stayed at the Yuyado Sekiya? It's supposed to be a little more upmarket ryokan near the snow monkeys and about a half hour drive from Shiga Kogen.

Is Shiga going to be ridiculously busy from the 2nd of January until the 8th?

Man, so much to think about!!! But I can't wait to get boarding in Japan!!!

Naa, no boarding in China, although in Harbin it's possible, but I have not heard anything amazing about it like I have about Japan. However, there are some wicked ice sculptures there through winter, they are amazing.

Oh man, I'm going to be there from the 31st to the 5th. I guess I will need to be dodging up at Shiga Kogen!

Hope it's not too crazy! Better book this week then...

Any recommendations on places to stay near the monkeys? Not too low budget though, I've stayed in some cheap ryokans before: not fun!!!!

(not that I'm a snob at all... ha ha ha!)

When I lived in Changchun, China from 1986 to '88, I missed two opportunities to visit the 'new' Chinese ski team training somewhere NE of Harbin - weather was too harsh to get to the 'resort' and at the last minute, I was suddenly told there were no accommodations for me. I gave up. I forget the name of the place but I understand they do have lifts now.

Last Spring when I was back for a visit, I tried to learn more about new facilities in the Chiangbaishan range along the North Korean border - apparently there is a chair lift there with a view overlooking N.Korea - would be a pretty wild place for a B.C adventure - not. Maybe I'll try again in the Spring next year now that my local contacts in Chanchun are finally convinced that I was serious about going there some day...