so while you lucky guys are discussing your pre-winter training schedules, involving a lot of girl watching by certain skateboarders, i'm still stuck with an injury.

i thought it might be useful to create a thread where injuries can be discussed - and i'm also seeking a bit of advice on mine.

firstly, does anyone here have any experience with hematoma recovery? it's been just over 6 weeks now that i've had a hematoma on my upper left thigh, it's not fading fast by any means at all, and in a blur of soundbites from doctors in the uk and seeing doctors in japan, i'm now confused as to how i can speed up the recovery or treat my injury properly.

at this point i'm going to the onsen the promote blood circulation and counter acting that with icing treatment. i no longer have pain when i walk, as of last week, but there's still a noticeable amount of fluid left in there. the area is very tender if i touch it, and i can't sleep comfortably on that side.

i'm most reluctant to have it drained due to risk of infection and having to clean the wound and such like. i'd prefer to let this go down naturally, but i'm concerned about the timeframe. does anyone here have experience with hematomas. is it normal to have such swelling almost 7 weeks on?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bite on a stick. cut it. cover it in booze. wrap it in a dirty old towel.

i think i have some spare leeches if you would like. ;\)

but seriously, that is a drag. i had always thought time was the only real cure. good luck!

I am no Doctor but I think Hematoma is a very general term describing a "blue-black". If you still can't sleep on one side after 6 weeks because it hurts then I am just wondering if there is not something else involved, sounds a bit serious. Hope you do not get gangrene and have to chop it off. By the way, I did not realize eskimobuttramp was a gal until recently.

Arnica maybe? It's good for bruising, but you can't put it directly on an open wound. But you can also get it in tablet form. Not sure if you can get it in J-land.

Also try a kampo doctor, there may be herbs that will help speed things up.

And ask an acupuncturist if that can help. I'm not sure, but it's great for a lot of things so you never know.

I had my first acupuncture today. It was all round a good experience. Once when he tapped the needle into my calf, it hit something in there and an electric spark shot right through the middle of my body, up through my hips, and exploded like a firework in my brain. I really wanted to say, "Stick it in there again, harder!"

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
found your feminine side.
Actually I still have four needles inserted in my back. Nobody would know it by looking at me, but I can feel them. It's like going to the office wearing dildo pants.

ebc- Not a doc, but from years and years of physical therapy I know that heat can cause calcium deposits to form in injuries like that and should probably be avoided. I would stay away from onsens and hot baths. Why not just massage it lightly?

Or get grungy gonads to massage it for you?

Or just borrow Ocean's dildo underwear and take your mind off it?

thanks guys, i'm getting really mixed reports on whether the onsen is good - yeh kuma my biggest worry is calcium deposits forming, apparently it's quite rare, but i don't know.

i met someone this weekend who reccommended me their physio/acupunture/massage/sports type therapist in matsumoto, so will give her a call.

in the meantime.... ice ice ice thumbsup.gif

If you want dugs then ask the doc about creams containing Heparinoid. When was toboganning in a park at about 13 years old I slammed into a tree and had a huge bruise on my thigh for a few months. The doc gave me an ointment called Lasonil. I think there is a cream called Hirudoid too but it's not as strong. If you can't find anything here get your mum or someone to send you some over. I think Lasonil is available OTC in the UK.

EBC - how much are you walking every day on flat ground with no heavy bag, just walking? I would have thought that you need to do a lot of light comfortable movement every day for your body to have a reason to recover properly. Are you walking for an hour or two every single day? If there is no pain when you walk then now is a good time to get out and ask your leg to behave like healthy leg. The body usually responds well to that and quickly heals anything stopping it from behaving normally. Just be careful not to inflame or aggravate it. If you expect to be healthy then every person should do the equivalent of 2 hours walking every single day. And you have got a recovering injury, which doubles the need for you to take part in a healthy bit of light physical work each day. Stop sitting around on your are in an onsen ;\)

I had never heard of dildo pants before today.

The bloke in Hakuba behind Echoland is the vice principal of a large acupuncture school in Mie. His son runs the clinic during the week, and he does weekends. A lot of competitive skiers go there.

He's also published several books fulls of pictures of tongues of people with various maladies. He's a bit of a wizz on the "Open up and say 'Aah!' routine".

It'll save you the drive to Matsumoto if nothing else.

EBC, I was looking for a sports doctor who knows about cycling and skiing for my knee in Tokyo. I found a sports doctor in Iimori Shintani clinic . I'm not sure if he is good or not but at least he is a member of Japan Sports Association and his speciality is ski, he may be able to give you a good advice what you should do or should not.

Here is a link searching a sports doctor in Japan, if anyone interested.

http://www.japan-sports.or.jp/doctor/result.asp?pcount=10&tdfk=16&sports=04&subject=&page=3

It's not easy to find a doctor for cyclist though...

Slow, what is wrong with your knee? Nothing serious I hope. Too bad you are not in Hong Kong. I know two very good doctors who specialize in sports injuries. One of them is a friend who studied with me in university and another is a former student of mine.

my thigh/hamstring deep bruise from earlier this year came right after about 3 weeks. I have excellent blood circulation, how is your general circulation EBC? perhaps that could be a mitigating factor in the recovery.

Also I rested it as much as possible, walking with a cane when I had to walk and keeping elevated and rested the rest of the time.

Massage? its your thigh, you can do it yourself! thighs are the easiest place to massage yourself, get some massage oil on there and rub away!