i just got hold of a 2006 guide to japan's ski slopes, and it would seem that there are better places than furano to go to... either in hokkaido, or in honshu.

hhhmmm... i think that i need to review my plans... meybe i got led in by furano marketinq?

however, there are no recommendations in this guide...

what it does have are the snowfall information from the previous season, detailed course/trail run info (slope angle, distance, conditions during early morning, late in the afternoon, etc.), etc. etc.

and based on these information - i think that nisseko, or kiroro may be better.

tomamu has a nighter only up to 7PM - so that already is a minus for me...

The great thing about Kiroro is that it gets a lot of fresh snow every day and it has a very nice Piano Hotel with outdoor onsens and a 50m indoor pool. But the gelande there is not challenging at all. I remember doing all the runs of the whole resort in one morning and even the black runs were quite easy for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
WTS, Niseko's nighta is sweet thumbsup.gif
I third that thumbsup.gif

upto 9:30pm, eerily silent and empty. Then pop into the onsen at the hotel with several ice cold beers. mmmm.... can't wait 'til December.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
If i could go for free that actually is something I would not mind trying.
Fatts, that can easily be arranged in exchange for ski instruction services for my group, but how are you gonna get off your full time job and how are you gonna leave your Powder Lodge in the middle of the season?

Ahem, that's a bit rude of you, Markie - you should also be offerring to pay him for his time, not just getting him up there and accommodation. I'd feel quite offended if were you FT.

And yes, I have been to Furano but it was so long ago I can't totally remember it. I was on the old narrow skis and rented boots, had just recently arrived in Japan, had just spent a week at Niseko Higashiyama (someone's guest, so I never got to Hirafu), couldn't ski anything even a few inches deep.

So my thoughts at the time that I can remember were that I liked it cos it was nice and wide and open compared to Higashiyama (I think they've opened up more terrain at Higashiyama since then), and it didn't snow while I was there (for several days), whereas it snowed nearly every day at Higashiyama, there was only one blubird day where we went up to the peak. And it had gotten warmer (late Feb) so the snow wasn't as nice, but it was supposed to be drier cos it's further inland.

I can't remember how challenging the slopes were, I was okay on everything I skied but not sure of what I didn't ski.

im sure markie would arrange a payment of some kind. he has never once taken advantage of me actually. He has even told me to charge him more at times. Sunrise thanks for thinking about me though please try to make it up. We will do a musical weekend.

You should charge him more - he's getting a great deal and he knows it, and Markie that's generous of your to offer that.

I'll definitely get up at some point. Might even have enough sketching skills going at that point to sketch the baby. So you still have the piano after all? Thought you were losing it. No mics, though, right...