OK so we are planning our trip now. This time it will be the 3rd! We want to try some new places and here's what we are thinking right now.

Tokyo - 2 days

Shiga Kogen - 3 days

Nozawa Onsen - 3 days

Madarao/Tangram/Myoko - 2 days

Sounds good?

We were also thinking about Arai but looks like the Not Open sign might prevent us from doing that one \:\(

Sounds like a decent plan BagOfCrisps - certainly different from staying in Hakuba for 10 days which if I remember is what you did last time.

Madarao/Tangram are ok, but I'd head over to Myoko if I were you.

Ask for some expert advice on this, but there is a chance that with buses and trains you will blow a half day+ every time you move between locations. For all the flying time, don't you want to maximise the on-snow time?

On the flip side, if it is a Nagano tour that is the priority the you have some good places covered (if only sniffing each one).

Why aren't you going to Niseko?

This is indeed the main thing we are thinking about now. We may well strike out the Madarao/Tangram/Myoko part.

I heard Niseko was rubbish, as well as being full of (rather smelly) people with funny accents, so we're not going there. Oh no.

I think you posted that in the wrong thread there BagOfCrisps (if indeed you are laughing at le spuds comment in the other one) lol.gif

I'm going to Hakuba for a few weeks but now i'm starting to get jealous of your itinerary... Since it's your 3rd JaP trip and it appears you know some stuff that I don't!

Still maybe it's necessary to do some time in Niseko and Hakuba before going off an exploring the less famed areas?