• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will is coming. i think the snow line is a little high. we are at 10cms accumulated and 15 cms total here in hakuba. still snowing at a good rate enough to get you excited if it was a powder day. if this keeps up all nite i might consider sking happo tomorrow as there is maybe 25 or more cms up high right now. again ill make my call before bed people so plan to go.

I guess that's if FT decides yes?

I'm easy either way.

As far ar Yakedake snow conditions - if it stays cold this new snow will be fun, but moderately dangerous? but if it turns to rain on it tomorrow morning, won't it be alot less fun than if it hadn't snowed at all, plus slidey?

Toque?

me too! me too!

To clarify:

I'm 100% up for Saturday - the only thing i was not up for was going riding today, as only just feel more genki today, so saving my energy for tomorrow.

FT - i will wait on your call, as to whether you want to hit Yakedake or not.

If you decide not, i will head up to Hakuba this evening, i think.

Tomorrow the weather is clear and sunny

Any snow at low elevation will turn to sludge very quick

Snow has stopped here

I'm waiting on a mail from Dan to see what it is like at his work because he is right below Yakedake

I was thinking the same as FT - possibly skiing happo tomorrow instead early for the freshies up top if it snows all day today.

Slightly worried about the possiblity of slides on Yakedake tomorrow, how safe is this going to be in the bc with all this fresh snow?? I'm not going if the weather is not going to be clear tomorrow, don't wanna hike up in bad conditions with the possibility that this new snow will slide.

FT - did you speak to Hugh about it yesterday? Does he want to go?

Toque,

Random question: what temp wax would you use for whatever new snow is around this weekend - i was thinking -3 to plus 3, the snow's not going to be any colder??

Or i might not bother, and be lazy.

Well up for some fun lines - hopefully not too many rocks hiding under new snow! base still nice and pretty, don't want to mess it up till next season!

go on the plus side with wax cause if it is cold the base will slide well enough.

Toque still snowing here and im worried about my unprotected wood stove pipe. over 10cms on the ground now but the snow is much finer now. Toque I have no problems with going on the tour toque but dont have the go at all costs attitude. if there is 40 to 50 cms up there and its as steep as you say then its going to slide. Now whether or not it is enough to bury you is another thing. As long as im not exposed on the climb up im willing to give the clear weather a shot, but im not going to saying that sking 40 to 50 cms on ice is safe. we are looking at 20 to 25 plus up on happo as the snow fell on a frozen bed surface rather than an unfrozen surface. Take a set back bud a access the risk a bit more. it seems to be setting up like 2 weeks ago. Im always for biglines and you know that and i wont whimp out of many things but i dont want to die or injure myself making a stupid mistake.

EBC Happo will need 100 cms of snow to make it bottomless so Im 80% going to go up into tsugaikes mellow trees if I do stay here tomorrow.

I agree with FT - checked the weather, looks all clear tomorrow - but i think it is setting up like 2 weeks ago - and we ski steep stuff it will slide and i don't know if it's enough to bury us, but it's a risk. Also the noon news today - Kamikochi opened up and some tourists went there today, saying the conditions were crazy. Could be very beautiful tomorrow up there. I think if we go, we should dig a pit at the top at least.

FT - if you don't go - i'm in for Tsugaike.

By the way - i'm down in Omachi now, and it's still snowing pretty hard here, so it won't be letting up in Hakuba just yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
By the way - i'm down in Omachi now, and it's still snowing pretty hard here, so it won't be letting up in Hakuba just yet.
EBC wow, it's just turning sunny and blue in Hotaka... i'm off to take some pics of the view and that.

FT I'll give you a call after school today about tomorrow, when everyone has ahd time to weigh up their choices...

take it easy

Stopped snowing here a long time ago. Yakedake isn't in the Hakuba area. It's way south. So even though it's beens snowing all day in Hakuba it probably hasn't been snowing all day on Yakedake. Even though it might have been

I don't have the go at all costs attitude

But I do want to do something that keeps me in shape and gets me outside. You guys should be thinking the same thing if you're coming for GW.

There is a pretty safe route up the mountain

You guys really have to start watching the weather forcasts that they show in the evening. Every night it shows that Saturday is sunny. Like I'm talking to children here. Just because it's cloudy now doesn't mean it will be cloudy tomorrow

It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow. If it warms up enough that should bond the new snow

I don't use wax AK

EBC dont agree with my yet cause ill talk to toque at 7 then we will make our choice im leaning towads going just to know the route (as long as it is safe). a pit wont be deep girl i dont think that you understand that side of it yet (not calling you on it so dont take it that way). we are talking about a fresh snow slide on the ice layer so we would not need to dig to much further than just past the ice. EBC drop by on your way back into town and we can make some choices. still freaking snowing damit.

toque remember your 30 30 rule

Thanks toque - i know yakedake isnt in the hakuba area, but i watched the lunch news and they are having crazy blizzards in kamikochi, which is near yakedake. Also checked the weather if you looked at my previous post - so aware that the weather will be fine tomorrow. However, the point is that there is most likely quite a bit of fresh snow on top of an ice layer where we are going tomorrow, so i think everyone is worried about avalanche risk. That is my only concern and it's clear that is what FT is worried about too (from his previous post).. as well as his stove apparently. Anyway, in clear conditions i am up for going up and getting some good lines, if we think it is safe enough.

sorry i dont mean a full on deep pit - just to see what the fresh stuff is doing on the ice layer and also HOW MUCH fresh there is up there.

i'm in omachi now, and have a damn enkai from 6pm in hakuba - will get round to your asap after that and make some decisions.

think it will be beautiful up there tomorrow, so up for it... but we can talk about it later.

toque lets talk this over the phone as this is going no where fast. everyone its planned as go so pack unless toque or myself call you otherwise. AK how much time do you need to get to hakuba as i will use that as my cut off time.

Toque im training hard everyday and have lost 3 kilos this week. 2 hours chopping and 30 to 40 minutes jogging then 30 more minutes of chopping. I think the presure is different on the east side of the alps right now. toque i watch the weather as much as i can mate, ive been doing it all day. i can see that tomorrow will be sunny but it isnt always 100%

Lets talking on the phone after working.