Sorry rest of forum people for putting this up. It's just easier than email.

Guys we need to plan for GW in the Karasawa Valley

5 Days

It's a long walk in there and out. With skis and boots on the backpacks we will be looking at about 35kg

So 4 dinners, 4 breakfasts, 5 lunches

And I don't want any complaining

We can bring a few perisables and then dig them into the snow. We can also scrimp on the food a bit and buy a few things at the lodges. Cup soup, choco, chips, Beer.

Breakfast:

I'm going to start buying bagels and freeze them

You want in on this?

I'm going to buy 4 bagels. 1 for each breakfast.

I'll also pick up a tube of butter each. If you want Jam you can get it yourself.

Dinner:

For the most part will be the same as what I always eat in the mountains

Rice, corn, mushrooms and tuna with a little seasoning. Yumyum

I'm not hauling in ham.

Lunch:

If we could get sausage and cheese that would be really good. But I don't think we will be able to. Maybe a few extra bagels with tuna spread that I used to buy. Yes it looks gross but it tastes so good.

Or we can buy the dehydrated dinner. They are light and we can eat them in camp after our run.

Any beefs I don't want to hear them

And remember that even though we will be burning lots of calories we are also at a fairly high altitude so won't be eating as much

Remember how much food we had to carry out last year FT.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gear:

Stuff I have for communal use:

Tent - 2-person

Stove - MSR

1.5 litre pot

Fuel - I'll pick up white gas. I'm thinking about 500ml for each person for the 5 days. We don't have to boil water

Map

Compass

Stuff I don't have for communal use

First aid kit

Rope

Personal gear you will need

50-70 litre backpack

Sleeping bag (Minimum -5C) It might snow up there

Sleeping pad

2 Pairs Longjohns

2-3 Pairs Socks

Waterproof Jacket

Waterproof Pants

Down Jacket

Sunglasses

Sunscreen

Toothbrush and Toothpaste (I don't want to be the supplier of all the toothpaste like I usually am)

Bowl

Spork or Chopsticks

Multi tool like a leatherman or Swiss Army knife

Whistle

2-3 Binding straps - Orange Voile ski straps work the best (these are often overlooked. Very important for attaching skis and boots to the backpack)

2-3 garbage bags

1-2 litre Nalgene bottles

Toque

Crampons

Iceaxe

skis

boots

skins

poles

book (even though I like you guys I don't want to entertain)

2-3 lighters

headlamp

running shoes if you're not going to hike in wearing your ski boots

sun hat or bandana

light helmet if you want - I think Dan is using his new bike helmet so don't worry about style

I'll add to this as I think about it

Yah I know. Nice to sleep in something dry though. They'll stink just as much as my body suit does by the end of the trip. I know. I'm a stinky guy. Nothing I can do about it.

Start in Kamikochi and then hike up the river valley for 11km where you then hike up another valley for a couple km before getting onto the snow and skinning up to the head of the Karasawa valley. It's right below Hotaka

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

Personal gear you will need

Sunscreen
Toque

you are taking yourself? thats awfully generous of you wink1.gif

p.s. you forgot your toothbrush

dude you carry in 2 rice dinners and ill carry in 2 pasta dinners. i cant eat that crap for 4 days straight. im also thinking about bringing a small stove to cook ramen on the mountain that would cut down on the weight and bulkyness of the bagels.

Ramen sounds good - we can melt snow to cook it in, instead of carrying a ton of water up. Is that possible in terms of the water being safe from snow?

Is there a lodge nearby where we are going to camp, like at Tateyama... or just lodges on the hike in??

Add to your list - small first aid kit.

Should we take two-way radios?? Would that be necessary??

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
dude you carry in 2 rice dinners and ill carry in 2 pasta dinners. i cant eat that crap for 4 days straight. im also thinking about bringing a small stove to cook ramen on the mountain that would cut down on the weight and bulkyness of the bagels.
No need to bring 2 stoves
We can even just bring a light snack onto the mountain with us and then eat a big lunch back in camp. We'll be back to the tents pretty early in the day anyways even if we decide to do another run. Just the nature of the area.
I like the soup idea though. There are lots of good options better than ramen though.

Don't worry on the rice. I'm with you on spagetti as well. We can carry one of each each.

I'll be doing all the hiking in my touring boots. Comfy. But the others will be doing the approach in running shoes because downhill boots suck for walking

im getting one of those canister stoves so the wieght isnt much. lets list things on saturday after our tour. should i bring my trekkers for dan or jer? do we want a small rope for karasawa? im gonna start doing more runs this week along with chopping wood. I wish I had garmonts now for the hike in. toque there is a water source right? im gonna bring ice tea and some whiskey.

We only need 1 stove

Mine isn't heavy and we can use a small 300ml bottle if we take it out for lunch

I don't like the other kinds of stoves because you can never tell how much fuel is left over. You might spark it up thinking there is a bit left and then you run out. And then once you use it for a while you'll end of with a load of nearly empty bottles.

Maybe a small rope

10-20 metres

Bring your trekkers and a pair of snowshoes this weekend. They are both coming. I have skins for who ever uses the trekkers.

There is running water, heated toilet seats thumbsup.gif and even a satelite dish with TV for weather reports

I'll ask Hugh what he's doing... maybe that's when his girlfriend is coming over from Australia. Though, when we mentioned it - he still seemed keen to go regardless. I'll find out. Who's Dan?? Is that your friend who practically learned to ski in the backcountry or something??

toque i know what you are sating i just figure its a light option for lunches. its about the same in wieght as a thermos. I want to get MSR stove but Ill order that in canada. lets chatting about this on saturday.

sat im bringing the same gear minus the crampons and the axe. i figure if we need those the whole crew cant go. im also going to bring a small rope just to add wieght and train.

Yah no extra gear is needed this weekend

We can kick steps in to get to the top of the crater for the steep runs Look here if you want to see pictures from last year

Is there anything else on the list that I have missed?

If there is 5 of us going GW then 2 stoves might be a good idea anyways. Pick up a pot as well. You will soon develop a hatred of canister stoves when you have a stack of nearly empty bottles in your basement