• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about that

Very sad

I think most everybody that has been skiing/snowboarding for quite a few years will have heard about him

I used to have pictures of him skiing near vertical lines in my high school locker

it's unfortunate but a reality of the business. considering what he has accomplished, and in the span of time that he was involved in the industry, it is amazing that he lived as long as he did. it is tragic, but i think that his family and friends will say something to the sorts of what so many loved ones say about such victims. and that is "he died doing what he loved." and if you have ever know anyone who has fallen in similar ways you will know that you actually can take comfort in that.

stay safe

Also marc andre B went down in an accident by the sounds of it. Combs though was really pushing the ski montaineer thing as of late, it just shocks you back to reality that these sports can bite back hard.

I am in complete shock by the news. DC was such an icon that so many people looked up to (including myself). When I first saw that he had been taken by an avalanche I thought it was a bit strange (but quite possible) given the conditions of the snowpack there at the time. Then I later found out that it was once again the typical La Grave death (ice on steep + cliff band) that had also taken the life of a german snowboarder only a few days earlier there. I would have thought DC and his crew knowing La Grave inside out would have been prepared for the potential treacherous condtions. These guys knew the terrain and were well equipped... So I am very suprised. Apparently they were once again pushing the limits and were in a NO FALL zone, unfortunately somebody fell and DC apparently tried to help and fell as well. Very sad news. To this day he is the only person (to my knowledge) to have skied down the La Meije glacier (with a buddy whose name I forgot).

My thoughts go to his family, especially his very young son. DC has passed away doing what he loved, I just wish it did not have to be this way. For those interested, I saw that they have established a memorial fund to help out his family.

I am also surprised there have not been more reactions on this forum to the news of his death.

Finally it is a bit sad that it happened at La Grave, the place has already such a bad rep in terms of how dangerous it is. But that is another topic altogether.

DC will live forever in our memories.

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:

I am also surprised there have not been more reactions on this forum to the news of his death.

DC will live forever in our memories.
I'm not surprised. No offense to many of the people on here intended of course. Most SJers havn't been skiing/riding long enough to know who DC was. You would have had to be reading the good mags like Powder and watching the best vids back in the early/mid 90's to know what he did for our sports.

He had the best K2 adds. Skiing knarly lines on the K2 MSL. I remember one line picture was pretty much just a frozen waterfall with a bit of snow in pockets. An amazing shot. Really too bad to have him gone \:\(

R.I.P. Doug Coombs. Man, what a blow. I saw this thread the other day but just didn't know how to respond. I searched all of the Alaska newspapers and didn't find anything about this tragedy. This is by far the best response I could come up with:

doug-valdez-steeps-last-run.jpg

YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN DOUG!

Another horrible ski tragedy occurred at Mammoth Mt in California the other day. I used to frivolously launch over fumaroles at Amihari in Japan. Nature is not to be taken lightly.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=special_coverage&id=4061879

Sometimes I do push my limits though. Not only in skiing, but in other endeavors. I had a close call today riding the Salcha River on my snowmachine. It makes one think.

Ramp_from_trail_to_river_-_closeup.jpg

Overflow_Crossing_closeup.jpg

I was lucky to make it home today. I ate shit really bad going very fast over this ice.

Doug was 48. I just turned 32 the other day. I find as I get older, I may not be able to do the stunts I once did, but I get more ballsy and tackle things I probably shouldn't. Yet I still do it knowing I have confidence and more experience each and every time. I don't know, I'm trying to come to grips with losing a hero and a legend. I'm sorry for rambling. This is devastating.

I just donated enough to buy his kid some skis \:D It's actually really easy to do through PayPal (follow the DougCoombs link above). Yes, there may be better things to donate to, but this is something that really has hit me. I have a lot of friends in the guiding and climbing industry and I know what they and their families go through.

The family is hit the hardest, but the community in general also takes a hit. I know I feel it.

Toque - be safe out there. Do you ever think it will just catch up to you one of these days? Not you in general, but just in general....

Good on you Plucky for contributing.

Will do that as well.

Both Pics by Doug Coombs.

The route he did which was never repeated and the approach.

These pics posted are a great idea.

The best obituary we can come-up with.

SerreChe_59.jpg

SerreChe_60.jpg