Having gone to Niseko the last two seasons, I'm looking for something more challenging.

Having read lot's of Niseko versus Hakuba threads, Hakuba sounds like it has the goods.

However, ignoring culture, food etc how does Hakuba rate when compared to the resorts in your home country?

In other words, if I'm after steep terrain, accessable backcountry options and reliable snow with good quality powder, would I be better off going to resorts like Kicking Horse or Red Mountain.

P.S I live in Australia, so have to travel a long distance anyway (albeit I appreciate that Japan is closer, no jet lag etc)

Toque and I differ on this somewhat. I find that the snow here allows me to get into stuff that I would normally have to wait a long time to get into back home.

As Resorts though anything in Canada wins hands down. For those who are prepared to look though there is some pretty though terrain to be found in Japan. the spring touring is on par with most of the stuff back home as well. We ski pretty steep lines come spring.

the main difference is lift accessed alpine,

Hakuba 0 Canada endless

I personaly love hakuba and I think about getting back almost every day, but days like today in Whistler when knee deep alpine lines are on, it's hard to consider living there and just riding subalpine....but i'd do it if I could.

also rocks.. lots of rock in canada, almost none in Hakuba. And it's much cheaper to live, ski and drink in japan.

I would have to say that the 'resorts' in Canada are some of the best in the world. Japan gets some great snow, but the places I went just didn't take advantage of it. Yes, I'm a Hakkoda whore, but I'm not supposed to talk about that here \:D

I was supposed to go to Kicking Horse in two weeks. My plans have changed and I'm going to Alyeska instead. Either way, I won't be on any groomers!! ;\)

• 2 weeks later...

Yup back

Hakuba is good if you are willing to put some sweat into it. Loads of steep lines then.

But if you don't have the knowledge of that shit then better stick to Niseko where the off-piste is easier to get into and out of

Canada is way better than Japan in most things other than the amount of snow.

if you know where to go in canada the snow is almost as good. i mean, unless you are skiing every day, can you tell the difference between 5meters of snow and 4? as for lift access terrian, canada wins hands down. and if you are willing to hike a bit and know what you are doing i also believe that canada wins hands down. all it takes is one day touring in either the kootneys or the selkirks to know what i mean.

touring is a different story though. I wouldnt want rookies touring through certain parts of Canada cause they would get killed easy enough.

Japan gets tons more snow than most of Canada. Besides this season I mostly skied lifted accessed trees and didnt cross any tracks.

Resort building and planning here sucks and the best terrain is left off of the map or unaccessible by normal means.

Its hard to say where to go cause if a place like WB or KH gets 150 cms over your trip it will go off. It will go off and it will be controlled. Nothing in Japan is controlled almost so you would at no point by as safe as you would be in Canada.

Whichever get out of the one resort rutt and try something new. Hakuba has 7 plus resorts and an area like nelson has 2 powder havens in Canada.

Quote:
Originally posted by taguchi:
How long does the season last in Canada? Comparable to Japan?
Backcountry season is about the same in Japan as in Canada
Mid November through to late June

Lift served season is about that same as well
December through to mid April
 Quote:
Originally posted by taguchi:
How long does the season last in Canada? Comparable to Japan?
if you know where to go you can ski all year round. Ray Glacier in K-country has great skiing all summer long. but you have to hike in, and know how to traverse a glacier. as for resorts we have about the same season as japan. but a few areas go into mid/late may. sunshine village keeps the lifts running until may 25th.
 Quote:
Originally posted by RichE:

In other words, if I'm after steep terrain, accessable backcountry options and reliable snow with good quality powder, would I be better off going to resorts like Kicking Horse or Red Mountain.

You will be well catered for in Hakuba with this criteria. As with anywhere backcountry, be prepared and don't drop into anywhere where you don't know where it comes out. Canada or Japan, such tough choices in life \:\)