Watching the Olympics I've noticed most boarders ride goofy. I've got two friends (right handers) that ride goofy as a first choice. The world is what, 90% right handed? Why do boarders choose to ride goofy?

A mate of mine who only recently converted to boarding thought that riding right foot forward was natural rather than goofy. So when he rented a board at Nozawa a couple of weeks ago he asked for and was given a board set up for a natural footer.

On the second day of the weekend when we finally met up on a lift I noticed that his leash was connected to his back binding and dragging in the snow. I pointed this out to him and his reply was - yeah they've put it on the wrong binding, it's a real pain.

On closer inspection it turned out that he was indeed riding a board set up for natural footer but he was riding it backwards, a la goofy. He had spent the whole weekend riding this way. Being such a new rider, the peculiar biding angles (pointing backwards) and the dragging leash didn't seem too strange!

I am a goofy footer, but I'm also left-handed.

The right-handers batting left-handed is an interesting one, because I bat right-handed. It's because I want my control hand to be working the lever over the pivot of my right (which also is my strong side). I hold a shovel or a broom the same way (left at the top, right at the bottom), but that is left-handed.

I jump off my left. I'm left handed, throw left, golf right but bat both ways, but snowboarding started off feeling much more natural goofy. I've learned switch. This is all very interesting.

I'm right handed, write everything by my right hand, grab a pair of chopsticks by my right but interesting though I turn right better than left when I ski. When I turn right, my left leg works, right?

This kind of things sometimes happen when I do something outdoor.

So, sometimes I wonder if I were a left handed indeed?

I jump off my left but kick with my right. I can catch pretty well with my left hand but can't throw for shit (but that could be the result of playing heaps of sport and using my right rather than being a natural thing). I can kick an Aussie football reasonably well with my left foot (non-preferred foot) but can't get a whole lot of power in it. As I said before I ride goofy. Weird mix.

I started snow boarding with my right foot forward for the first few times. I then realised that I kept riding my board backwards so had my board changed. I guess you just have to go with what feels natural for you. I am one of those people who writes right handed and throws a ball and eats with a knife and fork left handed. This just highlights the wonders of the human brain.

goofy too.....I noticed that the number of goofies was increasing year by year.

A rental shop in aus would shove a person in the back and then se which foot they stuck out to save them from face planting and that would be the lead foot....nice intro to snowboarding...a whack in the back

Davic

I followed a different technique to find out if my girlfriend is goofy or regular.

I asked her to slide on the floor with her shocks, the way we used to do when we were kids. My mom always got pissed off with me sliding on her freshly moped floor. :p

So basically the foot she put in front when sliding on the floor is the foot that she picked to put front on the board too. For the record she is also goofy.

• 2 weeks later...