• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Patagonia is way too expensive in this country
Haglofs or SOS are also expensive, aren't they?
Whenever I go into stores it's always the Patagonia stuff that is the most expensive

Maybe in the big city you see bigger discounts though

If worse comes to worse try mail order and have it sent from the states. Sometimes even after shipping its cheaper. Had a BD tent sent over for less then it would of cost me here.

Slow go for the lightest one. A super light jacket is so free and unobtrusive, plus light clothing really makes a difference when you are lugging all your gear around on the train (this particularly applies to snobo clothes, which are chronically over-gimmicked, bulky and heavy).

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
I thought Kari Traa's jacket looked nice and found this. HALTI looks cool, however no dealer in Japan...Tonal jacket
Steer away from jackets that don't have a wide zip cover (draft excluder). Also go for the press-stud type - velcro tends to freeze up.

The Tonal jacket appears not to have a cover?

Hmmm, I dont agree with that one. The zip cover and especially press studs add volume and weight. I have no zip cover or flap on the inside and it poses no problems (Arcteryx jacket). I suppose it depends on what you are buying it for. Right about velcro though, it is generally pretty crap in snow.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
[QB] I don't like the zipper flap on front as well. It all adds up Nothing gets through mineQB]
Maybe so, but perhaps in the colder regions like J-Land, etc you don't experience much rain/sleet during winter - the outer flap stops it entering the inner layers, particularly when it's windblown. That flap is vitally important on long expeditions where extended crap/mixed weather could be a big issue.

(It's the weight on your back, and feet, that really counts - mate's have been known to drill holes in their spoons to lessen it! lol.gif )

as far as I picked up from a guy from Mountain Hardwear some years ago. Waterproof zips aren't really waterproof, as in don't put a watercolom on top of it. They are water resistant.

Another problem with those zips is that they work very well when they are straight but loose all water resistant features when bend.

Maybe the current generation zips are truly waterproof though.

• 2 weeks later...

just saw the Patagonia Primo jacket last night (someone said they were checking it out). I was pretty disappointed. For 6 man...it has a weird mesh on the inside- looks like it would not be condusive to sweat. Also from a boarders standpoint I didn't like the powder skirt. I like one that you can attach to your pants.