These things are unearthly in their cost, so they have to be perfect:

- It has to be a real shell: no padding, no insulation, no decorations, no lining, no internal mesh crap. Nothing but a cold thin very light shell (not more than 900gm, and even that is heavy).

- Waterproof and breathable (gortex or the like)

- Tough where it has to be. None of this business where burred board edges puts little tears and cuts on pocket the area. A result of carrying your board in either BC or resort.

- Big hood for full helmet coverage with unrestricted movement.

- Sleeve opening inserts that have that thumb loop thing and the membrane that stops the sleeve from pulling up your arm or wind getting up there.

- Powder skirt. Even though I wear and love my bib and brace shell pants, I still want to snowbo in a powder skirt as it also keeps out cold wind blasts from going up your jacket. I admit that so too does tightening the elastic around the bottom of the jacket. But once that silly thing is tight the jacket spends all day riding up to your chest.

- This is vital: a genuinely high collar that, whilst standing in a bolt upright position, still comes comfortably up to your nose thus protecting your chin etc from the arctic sand blasting.

- The neck collar has to be comfortable when fully zipped up. Some have stiff 'comforters' the rigid upper edge of which turns into a mini knife edge once half frozen with a mixture of water, spit and snot. If the neck collar is not high enough (see above) then the stiff cuff is very uncomfortable on the underside of your chin.

- A functional number of pockets, but not as many as a cameraman's utility jacket. One pocket must be large enough for a pair of goggles.

- A stowable hood. People on movies and cool dudes ride with their hood out. Great for them. If I am not wearing my hood I like to stow it or else it gets filled with snow if I crash or caught on tree branches.

- Recco reflector is nice.

Anyone know of such a jacket? Some North Face ones come close (the Free Thinker jacket, for example). The description says "drop hood". Does that mean stowable? Anyone have that jacket?

I am trying to sell my Arcteryx Sidewinder AR shell as it just doesn't quite cut it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:
These things are unearthly in their cost, so they have to be perfect:

- Sleeve opening inserts that have that thumb loop thing and the membrane that stops the sleeve from pulling up your arm or wind getting up there.

- Recco reflector is nice.

- A functional number of pockets, but not as many as a cameraman's utility jacket. One pocket must be large enough for a pair of goggles.

-I don't agree with the loop thing. I've never had a problem with my sleeve pulling up my arm.
And as much as I sweat those things would just get really dirty and stinky

-The reflectors is a good idea. They make good ones these days that don't really stand out during the day.

-Too many pockets adds weight. My jacket has 2 on the chest which are good and 2 on the inside that I never use. They don't get in the way of a waste belt on a heavy backpack or conflict with a harness.

You should pick up a couloir mag jacket review guide
I'm happy with my Arcteryx jacket. Only thing is it doesn't have a hood.
But then I have my other Arcteryx jacket with a hood for those times when I'm out in the bush in the rain.

Yeah, my subscription expired and I didn't renew.

I understand why you would speak against the loop thing. I can go without, but like having the choice. On warm days I would never put my thumb in the loop. But I like the comfort it adds on cold days. It forms a good transition between jacket and glove.

As for pockets, I only need one more, or one of them enlarged for my goggles. I have two waist, one breast and one sleeve.

I think the biggest flaw in my jacket is the sidewinder feature combined with a low neck collar and the stiff zip felty thingy. Those features combine to cause quite a bit of discomfort on cold days. If I didnt have that problem I wouldnt have a cause to search around for another jacket.

Are we talking about the same reflector things?

recco might help if it is a sunny day and the resort has a chopper with the recco machine in it on standby, but in general it is a body finding machine. Wearing a beacon together with your buddies will give you far better odds.

In general recco doesn't add anything to your jacket just weight.

Quote:

Are we talking about the same reflector things?
I think so
Just some reflective fabric in a few spots so you can see people at night when you flash a light on them right?
10 years ago the stuff they used was really stiff. But now there is some really good materials that reflect very well and don't take away from the performance of the jacket

Hagloffs is good FT. And your jacket looks bomber.
But the first thing that Spud said in his rant was that he just wanted a moulded shell. Where all the materials are glued together. Your jacket has a nylon fabric inside that isn't glued to the gortex lining. It doesn't weigh anything but...
I know where Spud is coming from on this though. I like all my fabrics glued together
 Quote:
what is bea-con ?
I'm confused as well Spud
What does this have to do with getting a good jacket?

The materials in my jacket are all welded/glued together
In yours they are glued in certain places but not the entire inner fabric. Spud wants something that is welded/glued (whatever they do). So that is feels like all one fabric when you touch it.

Wearing a beacon doesn't have anything to do with a good jacket, but _spud wants recco. That's useless so I said to forget recco and get a beacon instead.

If it is a pure weight issue than don't get a beacon and you will be found in late spring. If you wear a recco you will be found by the end of the day. Both scenarios you're gone.

Some Jackets have a built in RECCO. The weight is minimal. You should always wear your tranciever into the back country. RECCO is only an added value thing and you should not depend only on it.

Yehhh agreed, HAGLOFS stuff is the shit. The jacked FT is talking about (Fusion jacket) is totally waterproof, gore-tex, really really light shell, looks really really sweet too.

I use the HAGLOFS Helli II jacket, slightly more expensive than the Fusion shell, has inner mesh lining, but still extremely light.

Check out the website - www.haglofs.se - it's Swedish stuff... the Scandies know what they are doing too, i think it's gets quite cold there sometimes?

Helli II retails at about 56,000 yen i think, Fusion is about 40,000 yen.

Not the cheapest stuff, but totally amazing stuff.

There are haglofs branches in Setagaya and Harajuku in Tokyo, and probably other places, and also H + Hakuba in Hakuba sells Haglofs.

I dont know if the Japanese website has prices? Maybe not, but if you can get your hands on a catalogue, it has a pricelist.