It happens a lot. There are threads going back several years about it.

You often hear announcements at resorts saying "Somebody has misplaced their snowboard. Please check that the snowboard you are riding is yours. And let's be careful with our equipment." Which is surely a polite way of saying there has been a theft.

If you have your gear insured, it stipulates that it must be secured with a lock when unattended.

This actually happened last week when I was with one of my freinds. We finished our day and went in for lunch, when we came out his board was gone. After telling the staff, they announced on the intercom about the missing board as well as having serval ski patrol look for anyone using it on the mountain (I'm not sure anyone can really spot a moving snowboard...). Anyways we left giving the staff a contact number and suprisingly someone had taken it and returned it. I'm sure that this was a random event, but I guess the japanese are pretty honest.

ski resorts R different from other places in that most people R still honest. just a few rotten apples might try 2 steal a board or a pair of skis 'cause they can't afford their own--the bastards. sometimes maybe they R genuinely taken by mistake and brought back, but

i've heard of ski/board theft in the mid-west of the US (where i'm from), as well as in colorado (where i went to university). one time in northern Wisconsin, the people staying in the room next 2 us had four pairs of skis stolen overnight--they had left their skis on their (locked) ski rack on their car. (hello?!?) but somebody broke the lock and took their s#it. would've been easier 2 bring it in THEIR ROOM.

i ALWAYS lock my gear up, even if i'm just 5ing 2 the bathroom, even in nippon.

theft is shocking here in japan, but as they say, take the usual precautions U would as if U were in your home country.

yeah i don't wanna instill fear in people, it's just that whenever i ride in the states, (especially Lake Tahoe!!) i lock my stuff up. in wisconsin, where most people come to ski like 3 times a year, there R bastards who want to steal other people's stuff...different mentality here in japan, i think. BUT, a 700 yen lock and an extra ten seconds locking/unlocking Ur gear WHEREVER U ride/ski, could save U a big headache later...

I agree totally. Even if someone just thought they'd skip on rental costs for the day and 'temporarily' borrow yours. It would totally suck not to have anything to ride on when you're up on the mountain.

I feel overprotective when locking up in Japan but am always aware that 1 to 2 percent of folk have a stronger devil than angel inside them.

As for if it does get ganked, what are the options for gear insurance. Wonder if it's worth it?

I frequently separate my skis and park them far away from each other. But maybe after reading this thread I may start thinking about getting a lock. Not that that's likely to deter someone if they really mean business. But it might help.

Similar to the thoughts of other posters here, I'm going to start locking my gear up ... especially since I only bought it last week (NB: 05/06 boards have just arrived in Australia ... my new Ride Fleetwood looks awesome!)

Just curiously, what type of lock is best for your snowbaord ... anyone? (referring to the type you take out with you for lunch/toilet stops)

Voidhawk - "Just curiously, what type of lock is best for your snowbaord ... anyone? (referring to the type you take out with you for lunch/toilet stops)"

I'm quite happy with my handy little cable lock with snap lock and quick retract. Suremost brands would be good detterents.