So my mates in England wanna know what the best resort in Japan is.

Seeing as I have not had the chance to ride yet, I thought someone out there may be more knowledgable...

I am actually pretty curious myself.

and skiers vs snowboarders too.

Niseko has many sections that you have to skate across, E.G. Hanazono 3 to 2 or from 2 to 1. Even if you straightline the runs to get across you still have to skate/push to the next run.

I love Hakuba area - except for the creeks \:o lol.gif

Niseko gets my vote for best snow quality and dumps too thumbsup.gif

naeba is a good resort. you get a resort not a ski area.

Hakuba is a great town with many ski areas, if you are willing to venture about you can find anything and everything you need.

Niseko is just starting to move from smallish town to a resort type of area.

Japanese resorts are built with no real planning.

Thanks for doing the poll, useful information for a lazy newcomer like myself.

So just wondering if how the top resorts (Niseko, Nozawa)compare to other ski areas world wide.

sorry for the tedious questions. Not an expert at these forum things!

Nozawa is a good resort it has almost all that you need. But then there are towns like Hakuba that have 7 big resorts within 5 to 15 minute drives away.

Japanese resorts are a bit different in the sense that they are not all run by a resort company. Thus the planning is not good and certain services are not subsidised because the resort itself only has one revenue stream.

nipstar, I don't mean to pick on you (and other newcomers) but what I mean is that this has been talked about many times (so you should search the forum) and the obvious answer is "it just depends on the person, what's good for one may not be good for another". Saying that when a question like "what's best" is asked you need to give critera and this enables people to help you. for example if you want powder, search the forum for "powder" also look at the many reviews of the resorts and the resort statics on this site. I'm sorry but just saying "what's good" is a little lazy.

Taking that all that into consideration, I'm interested to know the respective popularilty amoungst the major resorts, that's why I started the poll.

In regards to how resorts compare, I agree with Fattwins, resorts are generally less streamlined than other areas in the world, mountain access and lift layout often leaves much to be desired. Resort size for the major resorts is comparable to big resorts anywhere, but there are many tiny resorts. Price, skiing in Japan is cheap! the snow is better (in my opinion), but terrain is in general less challenging than many areas in America and Europe, having said that you can find lots of challenging terrain if you look for it but it is generally off piste (all the better if you ask me).

Nipstar, Another word of advice is that people will respect you more if you put the time in to your question, "how do they compare?" in what ways? price? terrain?....

RockyV. Lay of the newcomers. Nipstars question is fair enough. When someone asks you whats the best movie you've seen? you just answer. You don't ask if you want a sci-fi, action, or whatever genre answer do ya? If I ask whats the best ski field in Japan I want someones straight answer not a dressing down about how to ask questions online and how to gain "respect"

An impossible question to answer, they all have their relative merits and are bound to have downsides too. Couldn't answer RockyV's poll either.

As for my favorites, it'd have to be a close tie between Happone and Goryu/47. However I've only been to 11 of the 700 or more resorts in Japan, so what do I know?

Hakuba as an area would be unbeatable for me cause I know it has what I like and all the good buddies to ride there and hang out with too. If you're into tree riding, steeps, hiking for big lines, and consistent powder for those with the nose for it, then Hakuba will never let you down.

Variety? there are two great resorts I've only been to once in 5 seasons and I'd be happy to spend a whole season riding those two only if they were the only ones running-Cortina & Iwatake. I love the place.

For other people it's Nisekko or Naeba or wherever. It's all about the stoke you get from where you go. I reckon there's a lot of heat about Nisekko in particular getting too overcowded and all but I'm sure it's still a kick arse place. How could it not be when there's so much snow there. Getting too crowded? Hike a little further and think creatively. In my experience every resort is good-you just have to apply yourself to what's there to be had.

mugnuts your missing the point, I wasn't so hard on the guy and I think I was a hell of a lot more helpfull than your worthless words, I offered advice what did you offer, nothing but bagging another member out.

Your movie question is flawed, a more appropiate comparitive would be "what japanese movie do you recommend?" therefore it is completely appropiate for someone to ask for clarification. Nipstar is asking for advice, is the way most people see it.

Hey no need to fight over my honour BOYS!! Less of the guy, I'm a girl, which may help you understand my lack of question composition!

I understand what you both are pointing out!

I AM lazy, I cannot be arsed to think about my questioning, abswer the question in whatever way you please....best pow....best beverages....who gives a shit....just don't think too much about it!

And well I would ask what genre the movie was....as I have so many favourites!

I get the point!

GOODFELLAS!! Its a great movie!