Since the snows about to start... Time to let the gear wash, tumble and dry...

Wondering though... How do you guys wash your stuff?.. Heard that wachine-machines aren't exactly friendly to snowboarding jackets, pants and gloves...

with ski gear you need to wear clothes underneath all the time. It may get warm but this stops your ski getting too sweaty, and alows you to ski maybe 5-10 times between washes.

the clothes that I wear underneath, I wash every 2 times I go maybe

it's also important also to buy darker colours. Whites and creams get dirty quicker

but when I do wash them I just throw them in the washing machine with a mild detergant. It is my belief that if you don't overwash them water proofing agents and such are not needed.

it doesn't rain all that much in Japan (especially compered to Aus) so I generally stay pretty dry.

following the abouve I have skiied in my current gear for over 200 days, and it still keeps me dry, it's getting a little old so I'll probably buy some more this season (that's if I can find something my size 196cm)

gloves, too, wear something underneath, even if it's just those cheap white cotton gloves you can get at the 100yen shops. I try and avoid washing my gloves (maybe every 20 times). for some reason my gloves don't last all that long (maybe it's normal) I get about 100days out of gloves

in regards to drying, I have never tumble dried my gear, I always just hang them up in a warm room

Yeah I can't say I wash my outerwear very often, but when I do I hand wash, mostly because my washing machine likes to mangle anything with zippers/buckles etc.

I wash my glove liners/gloves pretty often - I hate stinky gloves.

wash, what for?

Seriously, can't get the ski-lift grease off my ski jacket \:o

Otherwise, I had some really old gloves, maybe 15 years (metal buckles were all rusty) and full of holes, and they stank even after I washed them. So after repeated threats of bodily harm by somebody ;\) I finally bought a new pair of gloves...

Usually ok to wash the inner linings with soft cycle, everything on the outside and supposed to be waterproof, I wash as little as possible.

Outerware I wash every now and then, clear the pores in the goretex.

you gotta then cool iron the goretex to maintain the optimal water beading properties.

Lift grease? how do you get lift grease on a jacket? thats a bizarre one.

Just washed my down jacket - first time!! Was so worried about ****ing up that I did it by hand in the sink. Took lots of rinsing to get all the cleaning solution out. But it worked out nicely. Then waterproofed it with another solution. Hope to use this same jacket for another 6 years \:\)

Need to wash my ski jacket. Havent washed it in ?? years \:o

Wash my base layer stuff after every ski or two and midlayer stuff ummmm, yeah, once in a while.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
Just washed my down jacket - first time!! Was so worried about ****ing up that I did it by hand in the sink. Took lots of rinsing to get all the cleaning solution out. But it worked out nicely. Then waterproofed it with another solution. Hope to use this same jacket for another 6 years \:\)
How did you break up all the clumps of down?

When I washed all my down in a front loading washer it all clumped up. Took about 2 hours in a dryer to dry it out. And I had to put my shoes in there to break up the clumps. Got a little expensive.

It worked out well mate. Hung it outside on my lawnchair and just kept rotating it around throughout the day and flipping it over. Kept working the down around inside the jacket as well trying to loosen the clups up and spread them around. Takes good hands to know how to get it right ;\)

Never used waterproofing before...

I'll just keep to the wash with mild detergent and hang until dry approach...

Hand washing is a bit to time costly for me... Never been a scrubing fan...

Anyway, mild detergent = what detergent?

Got a recommended brand?

Thanks for the tips guys... (^_^) m(_ _)m