Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stag:
I had a good look for the avie control bit but I didnt see it - where did you find it?
They could have made the site a bit easier to navigate.
I took a bit of time looking for that as well. Agree with you there CS it is difficult to get around. Looks like it's 1,3 and 5 day courses on how to ski the resort OB responsibly. Not a bad thing if you are graduating from groomers to powder.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the fact that the guys skiing in the "avie control" had no packs, shovels or any sort of visible BC equipment makes me feel a bit suss about how much these guys know. I reckon tours with Toque and FT would be much more worthy of the money they are asking.

Definitely they are marketing this place at over 40s. Just look at the people they use in their videos, married couples in full piece ski suits saying how "enjoyable" skiing powder is. Even the guy who "bought" Hanazone looks like a complete kook.

Sure this expansion of the resort at Hanazono is going to bring more jobs etc. etc. but are these people running the resort going to be helping out the locals? Will they employ locals for the good jobs? Or foreigners there for a season or two on their way around the world?

watched it, what a shocker! eek.gif

awful pronunciation eek.gif rather painful to listen to, but listen i did to see what they were gonna say about avalanche safety, only they didn't really say much, did they? to me, it seems that they really are marketing to people who don't have a clue...

When I was working at Rusutsu a few years back I met a group of 10 or 12 Aussies who come to Nisseko/Rusutsu for 2 weeks every Feb for off piste powder. They would fit into this category. I hung out with them a couple of times and they're all good riders and love it up there. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is somehow involved with this, even if just helping set up tours with one of the major Oz Hokkaido tour operators that he'd mentioned. He had been really interested in the idea of opening the place up to more Aussies. There was a couple there who owned a lodge at Hotham, too.

I think most big areas could go the way of Niseko and they may start doing that when overseas tourists get bored of going to same place every year.

Hakuba doesn't have the obvious tree skiing like Niseko though. You have to look a little further and really know where you are going.