ebc list what you need for crying out loud. Im trying to use toque myself and a bunch of other gear hounds to show you where you can cut a corner or too. also i can think of you next time i order something like a sleeping bag. We can leave the switch landing stuff aside for now, my point was and is that you dont really need a fattwin at that size...for now.

AK pm or call me sometime to re-aquire your number.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

mmmmm you thought it was a good idea yesterday in rapie - i've used my friends seth pistols and had so much fun and they were longer than the 172cm Karhu's we saw yesterday. i have to buy another ski for touring - and want something fatter anyway, so why not? why is everyone so determinded that i should not buy a fat twintip.... i already have a mid-fat twintip and i'm not gonna buy a ski that has the same waist as what i already have... i wanna have fun on something fatter, and i like twintips. so i'm buying!!

the list -

fatter skis

AT bindings

touring boots

skins

down sleeping bag

sleeping pad

big backpack

crampons

ice axe

emergency blanket

compass

some cooking equipment

you can of course buy what you want but... Look at your budget. Last year you wanted to go out with us but you had to borrow everything. You were luckly to find a friend like that.

I dont think that you should buy another mid fat your pes are fine for touring. Im trying to help give you options for gear. ie the mntlion cheap boards with bindings already. that gives you time to get someone like rappie to reduce the prices on his over stocked freerides.

Toque help me with this please

if you buy new

fatter skis------ the pfds 54000

AT bindings------ 40000 plus

touring boots---- if you go new 40000 to 60000

skins------------ 15000

down sleeping bag- 25000 maybe more maybe less

sleeping pad ----- 6000 to 10000 depending on thickness and size

big backpack------ 15000

crampons----------15000

ice axe-----------8000 to 10000

emergency blanket-600

compass----------- 1000

some cooking equipment-- msr stove and pot 15000plus

a grand total maybe of about 350000 for all that gear. what im trying to say is that you can save on certain items if you plan it right.

The PFDs are a good deal but then i realized that you want and need so much gear. and saving a buck here and there can get you that extra piece. check the lion out.

figure in your debt if you have any and your trip to nz/auz (that will eat up 1 to 2 paychecks) and your funds may become limited.

no more eating out with bettyx for me..... or trips to see boys in osaka i am thinking....

not sure about skis - i've noticed that on some of the us/canadian websites that a lot of their freeride/fat skis (04/05) are majorly down in price and the heights are right for me...

but yes ultimately i realise that this is how much it will cost me - i've written it all down and worked it out before... it's not cheap, but the gear will last a long time.

a bit of financial planning is required here...

i'll also contact a few people in hakuba and see where they can get me discounts

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:

the list -

fatter skis
AT bindings
touring boots
skins
down sleeping bag
sleeping pad
big backpack
crampons
ice axe
emergency blanket
compass
some cooking equipment
That's quite the list
It's taken me like 5 or 6 years to get all that gear. And I don't even want to think of the money that I spent getting to where I am. It's all worth it though

point made to get you thinking. skis dont figure on them lasting figure 3 years and youll change. thats why you can save on them. ordering from the states can be pricy girl be carefull. Id go with the lion or buy used/new in japan. unless you do a big order its not worth the 200 dollar shipping fee from the states. my parents can bring you skis from the lion in september.

is it not possible to send skis from the states to your parents, who could then possibly bring them to japan in september? or does it still cost some international shipping fee from the US to canada. i'll get my brother to have a look ahead of me for gear in nz, you never know what someone might be selling down there.

LINE mothership flights are only $225 on a website - but are not totally dissimilar to what i ski on now - they measure up at 172cm 120-90-110

i've converted all these prices into uk money and the PFD's aren't a bad price really, but i certainly don't have my heart set on those skis at all.

i'll check out the mtnlion stuff, tho i'm slightly unsure about buying used gear that i can't actually see, from the other side of the world.

Add maps to that list

I'd even have that before the compass. And don't cheap out on the compass. Get a good one with a mirrow and declanation. Also actually learn how to use them if you already don't know how

Things that can wait

-Touring boots

-Fatter skis with touring bindings. Just go for the fat skis with downhill bindings. You'll be happier and will probably do most of your touring in the spring/summer anyways when a fat touring rig is way overkill

-sleeping pad. Get a good cheap foam one and then later buy a good 3-4cm pad

-Get a tool. Either a Swiss Army knife or a leatherman. I like the leathman myself. Heavy but more things to play with

-Crampons. Get these after the iceaxe. You can always rent.

FT you should have been with us on the weekend

I found a really nice Swiss Army knife sitting on the road. Been there all winter. Just had to be cleaned. You and Dan could have fought to the death over it.

Did my pictures show up?

They came from here

And the text that goes with them

" It is only then he is informed that it is to be a fight to the death.

The fight ensues and Spock quickly demonstrates physical superiority. McCoy objects to T'Pau that Kirk isn't used to the Vulcan atmosphere and climate. He asks to inject the captain with a tri-ox compound to compensate. T'Pau agrees and Kirk is given the injection.

During the fight, Spock kills Kirk and McCoy accompanies the captain's body back to the U.S.S. Enterprise. Spock, his mating urges curbed by the knowledge that Kirk, his friend and captain, is dead by his own hand, relinquishes T'Pring to Stonn. He solemnly returns to the starship. There he finds Kirk alive and well, having been injected not with tri-ox, but with a knock-out drug which simulated the signs of death. Overjoyed, Spock smiles and utters a delighted "Jim!" before returning to his controlled, logical self."

Those are quite the scenic pictures there beanie ;\)

OK anyone know any good online backcounty/ski retailers in Australia/New Zealand... i can do that - the logistics and costs of having gear sent from the US are a bit of a no go... but damn some of that winter stuff is cheap!

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
yeah you sure push yourself dont ya AK? Pass out from drinking at ONLY 9:30pm - OHH, you are SO HARDCORE!! lol.gif :p Have a few great pics of you with drool comin out your mouth from that party :p :p
Ha ha! That's my best look. Never fails to charm.

I don't push that hard, I should push a lot harder (that's what she said anyway, ho ho, sorry) - but my point was that age is no excuse for not pushing it, if that's what you DECIDE to do.

Next season I'll be pushing hard to pass out earlier. perhaps while it's still light...

Sunglasses. You forgot sunglasses. I am sure I saw a photo of you in spring touring in goggles? Touring in goggles is a horrible thing to do (unless it is a blizzard, in which case touring is a horrible thing to do full stop).

Emergency blanket wa.... try this little guy. Pretty compact and way better than a foil bag or sheet. I have one permanently in my pack. I use the olive coloured one to absorb more solar radiation. I never understood why the external colour of emergency blankets are silver... doesn't that just reflect valuable heat?

http://www.blizzardprotectionsystems.com/acatalog/index.html#prod_bag

I also carry a small gas burner and little tank so that I can make a hot cup of tea before I die at the bottom of a crevasse. The gas and burner take up very little room.

Do you have an altimeter? They are very useful if you get disorientated in a white out. Great navigation aids to compass and map.

You have an expensive list, so stop eating out with bettyx (what happened to her anyway? Went quiet). Spending summer in humid Japan would make available a lot of cash to buy this stuff ;\)

toque - why would you get an ice axe in preference to crampons? Crampons are far more useful as an aid to efficient and safe ascent than an axe. An axe as a self arrest tool is a different matter, but there is no way I could reach half of the mountain things I do in an energy efficient and safe manner without my trusty crampons. An ice axe would be of very little help getting up the hill and I would never even reach a risky position where self arrest might be required unless I got there with the aid of crampons in the first place. I just don't get why an axe is more useful than crampons? (but I am new to this alpinist stuff...). Keep in mind I use soft round toed silly snowboard boots.

ps - I use collapsible 3 piece poles and when hiking steeps I usually stow one and keep the other compressed to 40cm with the basket removed. It is a useful spike that I use to nail myself to the slope with, much like the shaft on an ice axe. In my touring in chamonix I have used an ice axe only 3 times, and borrowed a friend's each time. I use crampons more than 50% of the time over rock and anything steep (+45 degrees, or even 40 if it is slippery and the exposure is nasty).

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Havn't seen you around in a while AK
Where have you been?
Oh, you know the usual... splitting up / getting back together / splitting up with 12-year realationship girlfriend stuff.

Apart from that, skating quite a lot - bombed a hill the other day, on the karasugawa river road (kanasugawa?) above Horigane/Hotaka - a few km of downhill - with those metal grill drainage grates every 500m, which were sketchy as fck! It wasn't super fast, but enough to get some scary speed-wobble and faster than I could run out at the end - resulting in a good superman slide down the road and some interesting scars! all good for a giggle! luckily no oncoming cars too!
lots of monkeys though, who were interested in the funny human on wheels flying past.

spud - I'm impressed with how much you have progressed and where you are now with the snow related fun. Weren't you just starting out on a board for the first time a few years back? (or has time passed quicker than I thought?!)

Thanks BoC. I do tend to be bit all-or-nothing and obsessive, so that might explain the progress. You are right, this was my 4th season. I was posting on SJ like a lunatic before I even snowboarded! I cringe now.

(I did ski when I was a little kid, but that stopped back in 1988 or so)

Yaaaaahahahaha AK i'm going skating now....... one dirty word for ya - ROLLERBLADES.... coz i know you love it!

Le spud - ohhhh yes touring in goggles was horrible, and after about 30 mins at Tateyama i quickly realised that i wouldn't do that again..... the next photo you might have seen me in, i was wearing sunglasses happyglass.gif As for touring in a blizzard, yes also tried that at Tateyama last Nov, most amusing and not the best really. Goggles were quite essential then haha.

Hmmmm where is FT for our rollerblade date anyway?

AK talk to you later keitai boy!