lets keep this here ebc cause you need to hear from the toque man as well. seriously write down the things that you need. if we know we can shout out deals to you when we see them. i do it fo cb all the time.

TO get good at park you have to just do park solid all the time. people that half azz the park hurt themselves all the time. I used to do park all the time back in ONT. it was about the best sking there. Again im just givig you sound maybe a bit hard advice. Now people will say that i have too many skis etc and yes i know that i do but... unlike some of you im not broke yet and spend within my budget. now if anyone would like to buy a pair of fat skis or 2 please contact me i need to sell some.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

every time i hit the park i get better and the confidence thing is definitely the crucial part. bushy hit the nail on the head. i'm total kack at kickers... (have only ever hit the medium ones, yes and the small ones a lot) but i love spines!

bp i understand that point but take it from a guy who used to ski bum when he was 22. what i did at 22 w now scares me a bit more. i still do it but i also know that if i do hurt myself im in big trouble. as we get older fear creaps in its a fact. at 15 i would jump down a flight of stairs and spin. i wouldnt even consider it now cause damn it just scares me.

Yeah I understand that too FT. And I know I am more careful than I was at 21 with that kind of thing. Thinking about what I used to do on a skateboard just gives me the willies now! But, the confidence in your ability is a big thing too. I don't know EBC and haven't seen her ski, but I ASSUME she is isn't too old to be able to learn and improve on her jumping ability at the ripe old age of 24. Not saying she'll be busting huge airs off the massive kickers, but practice will bring her closer to the things she wants to do. You are definitely right about being half-arsed about it though. The only way to get good safely is to consistently repeat it, gradually building up to the level you want. Not just going balls to the wall for the biggest mother out there right from the start.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
i still do it but i also know that if i do hurt myself im in big trouble. as we get older fear creaps in its a fact.
your wife is 'with child'... this might be ONE of the reasons that in the future, as you head towards 40 lol... you will be less inclined to do the crazy stuff. me? well i'm def not 'with child' or with anything for that matter, so i don't care that much... i'm definitely getting more and more irresponsible (with everything)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
I don't know EBC and haven't seen her ski, but I ASSUME she is isn't too old to be able to learn and improve on her jumping ability at the ripe old age of 24. Not saying she'll be busting huge airs off the massive kickers, but practice will bring her closer to the things she wants to do.
agreed thumbsup.gif

we dont talk about my wife, or that, here please,bad luck.

List your stuff ebc list your stuff and check the mntlion link i put on page 271.

both skis are good enough for you and ill say it again babe you will not be landing switch powder, you can dream yes but you first have to be able to ski switch on a pitch as steep as usagi course. think about your goals next year and buy the equipment that you need for those goals. you can always buy later if you get that good. heck if you can land switch powder you might get sponsered as there are only a hadle of girls that can.

inline today if it stays dry. downhill inline would be nice.

busy wernt ya peeps! ;\)

I love going off kickers and doing grabs but theres no way Ill ever through a flip, rodeo or any of that crap. Im at a point where I really wanna get good at skiing sick terrain aggressively while being able to hit pillows and cliffs with speed. Thats my goal for this upcoming season. Would love to hit the shit gap but depends if I grow a bigger set of kintama first \:D

ski usagi switch with or without moguls? lol it's not the swich skiing that's a problem, i'm always skiing switch all over happo - it's the jumping... but into powder - well i don't think i'd ever jumped of ANYTHING before, when i jumped off the dams at happo in december into the pow and now i'm def not worried about jumping into pow. also jumped off those f**k off massssssive avi barriers on the south faces of happo (tho wasn't exactly excited about it at the time... but given a second go at it, it would be cool coz i know i can do it)

WHAT am i buying later if i get that good anyway? a helicopter? ;\)

From Spuds topic

Wasn't meant to be rude

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:

Was droooooling over some big planks today... should i buy them before nz hahahaha?!

Sorry for the sidetrack here

You've been living in Hakuba for 2 years now and you're just now drooling over big skis

What's the deal on that?

ohhh beanie boy, polite as ever i see.... strangely the drooling didn't suddenly start yesterday, much to your displease i'm sure. incase ya didn't know i have k2 public enemys - and totally good enough for the pow i was riding last season and the bit of bc that i did do - wicked skis (what you boyz would sneer at and utter mid-fat mid-fat)...... was just in rapie with nick yesterday.... looking... wondering.... hmmm fatter skis (obviously)... next year... hmmmm pow... hmmmm - ya know?! had to ski on the enemys first this year before i contemplate the ones i looked at yesterday which are 110 in the waist. how fat are YOUR skis anyway?
My skis are plenty big enough

What did you want to know about me switching my BC rig?

coolio thumbsup.gif

nah so basically i was saying to ft yesterday how next year i want some fatter skis (like 100 or over in the waist) and i'll put touring bindings on them - but skis that fat might not be great in some late spring conditions...... so i wondered about what to do - so i'll need to get the public enemys drilled for the touring bindings come next spring. it's all cool, i know what to do.

Are you really going to want to haul big skis up the mountain?

100 in the waiste means more weight on your feet. And you'll already have heavy downhill boots and heavy touring bindings. It all adds up.

You like the park. Why put a weaker binding on your park skis?

Just pick up some cheapish used skinny skis that you can use on the late spring snow. Most of the time in the spring you can't go really fast anyways because of debris and cracks so having a high performance ski isn't really a big deal

Uh ohh that throws some confusion into the plan. Anyway i'm not rushing out the door to buy another pair of skis this week - just thinking about what to do next year.

FT - the rollerblading - you only want to go downhill? i pretty much do it for the uphill, to train. if you wanna just go only downhill we'll have to strategically place cars. it's not a hard uphill... and it's good for the legs!

On getting older, fear and progressing in the park, or bc jumps....

Good points of view from all the above posters, but i have to throw my 2 penny's worth into the mix...

FT, agree (If i understand correctly) that buying gear that is made for stuff you are not going to be doing any time soon is a total waste of coin (especially as you already have some decent park/switch skis EBC!), and there are loads of people out there for whom buying the kit becomes a substitute for actually doing stuff... nodody wants to be one of those! (too damn expensive for a start!).

However... on the getting older = more fear thing, I think getting older = better understanding of DO or DO NOT, and better able to decide whether or not to be scared (or whether to take on the fear)

When I was younger all I wanted to do was snowboard, but I wasn't able to until after university and my first real job (JET!).

As a result I pushed quite hard to progress to where I could visualise myself in my head - this meant a few injuries along the way (full operation ones, and not being able to run for 6 months) but looking back I gave the fear way too much respect.

As I have got older, although I no longer dream of being A Snowboarder, and I am aware of the implications of fcking yourself badly, I feel better able to face THE FEAR and just do it. The biggest kickers I ever hit were aged 26 (about 18 meters of flat), and that progression was only halted through not riding for a year and a half after that. I totally intend to continue that progression next season (after all, I'm still getting better at skateboarding still, and that's after 20 years of it - and it's way harder and harder on your body than snowboarding!)

There are plenty of guys that still rip on snow after getting old - look at Dave Downing or Iker Fernandez, or Terje!

I know they all ripped when younger so it's more about maintaining that level, but with the right attitude there is no reason why you can't build up towards a decent level at any time in your twenties or (fitness permitting) thirties.

It's all in the head.

Familly and other stuff will definately moderate that (unless it s what you do to pay the bills!) but badasses come in all ages.

ak i didnt have a phone over the weekend sorry about that. ebc ill reply a little later but i figure that i can chat you up later anyways. i want to do up and downhill if at all possible.

toque im talking binding swap like you do with your skis. in the spring she can use the PEs and in the winter she can use the powder skis. i figure that there is no need to buy extra binders if she needs touring ones.

list your stuff girl i want to know then i can help.

kyoto we can talk about tonite

yes i already have some decent park/switch skis.... with salomon 912s on them, so that's my ski for park, on piste, trees, lift accessed pow etc.

i want a touring set up because i'm interested in progressing in the bc so that means a new ski (so yes i'd like a fatter one) with AT bindings on them.

i don't think i'll be sitting around in my house looking at them lol instead of using them, i live in hakuba - this year i was on snow for 80 days and still have a month in nz to come.

considering my gear currently amounts to my mid-fat ;\) twintips, beacon, shovel, probe..... i've done not badly at getting trips together with various people and going into the bc..... so when i do have all the gear i need next season, the possibilities will be endless.

dudes, i'm not trying to get a sponsorship or something - i just feel the same as all the other people who live in ski towns - it's what i love, and i want to progress and reach some goals.

AK i agree about your DO and DO NOT point. ;\)