Many people seem to be expressing an interest in spring/summer backcountry skiing. Many of the places I go might not be suitable for a beginner BC skier though.

Norikura at 3026 metres sits on the Gifu/Nagano border and holds skiable snow into the summer. It's a great place to learn about spring/summer skiing as it is relativly safe and there are plenty of people on the weekends weather permitting if something should go wrong. Access is also very good as Norikura has Japan's highest road which reaches 2700 metres. A person in reasonable shape should be able to reach the summit in 90 minutes.

There are lots of runs up there but this is the main part. 3 runs. Most people ski the middle one. The 1st run on the right is usually used to hike up and the 3rd run on the left which is skinny is a fun little chute which doesn't get skied as much. All 3 runs end on a plowed paved road at 2600 metres.

blpic41823.jpg

The SDF was up there and had organised a race complete with electronic timing

blpic41819.jpg

blpic41820.jpg

You get all kinds up there. This is a large group of Snowbladers all using poles.

blpic41826.jpg

Don't take your good boards. Rocks can be dangerous

blpic41821.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are steep runs up there as well for the more advanced skier. Most of them are illegal though. So be prepaired to pull the gaijin card.

I had to cut the slope as there was a lot of fresh snow. It all slid onto the rocks below. Not a place to fall.

top looking down

blpic41824.jpg

bottom looking up

I skied the lookers right path through the rocks. real fun

blpic41825.jpg

I'm not sure about that but I was told last year that some of the steeper runs are closed because they are in the water supply area.

There arn't any signs though. Just that you might get yelled at.

Its in a park and is now closed to private vehicles. But you can catch buses from Takayama and Hirayu both in Gifu-ken

There used to be access from the Nagano side but as far as I know they have closed this road except for service trucks

A long way from Hokkaido r45

Takes about 3 hours. Sometimes more. Sometimes less.

It's not so bad because once I'm onto the Nagano side of the alps there isn't to much snow until when I'm almost in Hakuba. The road is narrow and curvy though getting to Matsumoto