The plans are there for an expressway to join Toyoshina with Itoigawa, but its still unclear whether it will be built. So long as Tanaka is head of Nagano it won't. The plans are for a bypass, not a toll road.

The original route supposedly went through Hotaka, but some of the people there have kicked up a storm. If it does get the go-ahead, it will probably be re-routed east through Akashina.

The proposed cost is something like 5,000 yen for every single person in Japan. The national government will stump up the vast majority of the money, not the Highway Authority or local governments. Obviously it will be a boon for all the locals working in construction.

Needless to say, its totally unnecessary and would be a complete waste of money. Access to Hakuba has greatly improved in the last ten years, but the period has witnessed a large fall in tourism and a large increase in the number of trucks passing through. Access is not the problem. Tourism has fallen sharply even to areas close to Tokyo like Hakone and Izu.

FWIW, large sections of the rail line through the valley are single track with one two-carriage train every 90 minutes and two expresses a day for most of the year. That's how much actual demand there is for transport.

When JH was extended from Suzaka(Nagano) to Myoko several years ago, I felt somewhat be comfortable for less signal stops. As far as skiing, it did not contribute to increasing my ski trips. When Myoko gets more attractiveness, I will go skiing more. If the JH tool cost is half, I may go skiing to Myoko double. Comfortable/faster driving is a nice-to-have (Japlish?). I have the same idea with Mr W.

I mean "When Myoko ITSELF gets more attractiveness". e.g. more snow pile, discount program, event, festival, etc. I did not go to Myoko ski resort this season, cos an event was withdrawn. Access(Highway) is not a major factor for letting skiers come. Originally, it is far and travel costly from Tokyo and Osaka.