Hey all

I'm keen to try Japan out this season - unfortunately I can only go over Christmas / New years for a coupla weeks. Meeting a bunch of mates there (all good boarders) from diff countries

Can anyone tell me where is the best resort for this time of year - and if theres much hope of getting good snow?

Priorities for us are (in this order):

- Fresh snow

- Cool area (bit of a Japanese experience would be great . . . i.e. not all foreigners if poss)

- Somewhere to go out for a few beers

- Hot springs

Thanks in advance for any advice!

J

Haro wave.gif

By Christmas New Year places should all be open with nice fresh snow. (If they aren't it's a real bad season).

Just one thing from your uncle gg, if you don't want "all foreigners", it might be an idea to avoid Niseko.

I'd toodle on down to Nozawa or somewhere like that.

You could try the local mountains around here they fit all the priorities ;\)

Priorities for us are (in this order):

- Fresh snow - - usually plenty

- Cool area (bit of a Japanese experience would be great . . . i.e. not all foreigners if poss) - hardly any foriegners (nihingo a must)

- Somewhere to go out for a few beers - plenty of snack bars and a couple of soaplands

- Hot springs - a few hotsprings

But it is a very big place, maybe youd be disappointed.

Maybe try Honshu, it has plenty of areas or you could try further north of Hokkaido eg Tomamu, Rusutsu etc. Have a look around at the resort listings here

there is a tonne of info that might help.

As well as the advice youll get!!

Quote:
Thats country roads right?
It's either that or the tollway, 2 choices from Hakodate (In winter the tollway tends to be closed a bit, so sometimes 1 choice)!!
Apparently Hokkaido has a high road fatality rate which I think could be attributed to the 50km/h limit. It is pretty frustrating and hard to maintain (Also why I have a radar detector).
The Shink is a few years away yet but should be cool. Not sure about them in the snow though, occasionally the trains get stopped too!!

In my experience NY is much much busier than Christmas (when many people aren't even on holiday). Having said that it looks like this year Christmas is at a weekend...