Them sticks that skiers have ... I'm curious. Amused, but curious. Amongst other things, they'd be a major reason why I wouldn't want to try skiing. That's also partly why funskis look fun.

So can you do without them? What do they contribute to the ride? Do skiers ever get impaled on them?

Skiers, educate me please.

well...

ask and you shall receive...

do we NEED ski poles? No...

Are they usefull? Absolutely...

They actually really help with technique...

a proper pole plant can improve your skiing...

you don't really need a pole for it, but it really helps...

and also on the flats its nice...and something to rest on in the lift lines...

i'm sure there are some other good reasons too...

danz

It's funny you should mention that fun skis look fun there Ocean as to many skiers these days fun skiers have the same image as boarders did when they first started appearing in numbers.

As for the "ski poles" as I call them I think you will find that the word "stock" is of European origin - French or German or similar.

As for their use if you wanna hit girlies on the butt on the way down but are to afraid to do it with your own hand poles are your best friend \:D I should add that this should only be done to boarder girlies as many wear butt pads and the initial "whack" is less painful!

Hi Fattwins, how's it going? I wondered if I'd ever see you on here...

Butt-whipping eh mogs? I'd never thought of that.

I had noticed how convenient skiers find poles for leaning on as they stand about the slopes. Perhaps if they were banned, we might see more skiers sitting about like snowboarders :rolleyes:

Strickly technique only - but I have seen modified ski poles that have screw caps on the top that people pour a little liquid blanket in. I bet there is nothing like unscrewing the cap off a pole and taking a swig of some schnapps. Not sure where you can buy these but be warned - liquid blanket often leads to liquid courage. Liquid courage can also lead to a toboggan ride down the mountain with the Ski Patrol. May want to look in a dictionary but I have heard that they are both close acquaintances with beer muscle and beer goggles. Just a guess on my part though.

At Echo Valley, they bring their love of skiing to boarding and use ski poles as instructional aids for snowboarding (this in a place that used to charge 1,000 yen for a snowboarding license). Very sinister practice. The pupils would also have to be remarkably stupid to take lessons in a place that adopted such an anti-intuitive approach.

I am not an expert skiers, but think poles are important for learning, balance and some techniques. And hitting people with.

Can any of you people tell me how long poles I should have. I'm 168cm tall.