no...

but last year at zao I met Mr. Backward Skiing Man..

No joke...he even gave me his meisi...apparently, he has skiied backwards all over the world...

crazy japanese skiers...

danz

Yep. Once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy.

Tyr practicing on the bunny hill first and preferably be using twins.

I do it two ways.

1. Spin from the hips, turn your head and look at where you wanna be going(downhill) and your feet will follow on the snow. Make sure your skis are locked together and don't move or you will catch an edge and slam painfully into the hard pack snow.

2. Lock feet together, initate a wee jump, spin your hips and torso, turn your head and look where you wann be going(downhill) and your skis will follow.

I don't know if these are the correct ways to do this, but they both work for me. It is important that you look where you wanna be going or landing or you WILL FALL!

Another thing you might wanna practice this doing is on in line skates.

Good luck!

:rolleyes: Skiers, don't go skiing backwards now, please!

You're already enough of a hazard doing your exaggerated 'kata' turns, skiing on one leg, skiing with your sticks held above your head, skiing uphill, making trains, and the other batty things you like to do, without making things worse by going backwards...

mad.gif

Actually have it on tape. We can go backwards. not tough. This is even w/o the double tip skis. I'll send you the tape if you want. I won't say it's 'fun' though. I'd rather see what I was doing. We just did it for fun. (How fast can you ski backwards?)

danz - we gotta hook up and ski together!

now that I think about it...

Mr. Backward Skiing Man might have been cheating...

he actually mounted his bindings on teh skiis backwards...and he was on some old-school blizaards'or some other straight ski with ocean11's favorite color schemes...

and he had streamers on his ski poles...

watch out...he's coming to a ski mountain near you!

danz

not happy,

You're free to get as ugly here as you like. You're perfectly free to be ugly without so much as registering.

I'd be very interested to see what batty behaviour of snowboarders you might identify. Of course I'm sure you won't really claim that riding backwards on skis is equivalent to riding fakie, because if you do, nobody will take what you say seriously.

\:\)

skiing backwards is referred to as sking fakie and it is a lot of fun. Most pros do it so that they can land more difficult tricks like 540s etc.

Carving fakie is good too if you want to just cruise on the slopes. Of course it is dangerous if you are trying it for the first time but I seem to remember skiing forwards being pretty dangerous too when I started! I think the key is to look where you are going....

Maybe a good equivalent for boarders is riding one foooted. You can bust out cool moves like locking your leg straight out in the air in front of you and grabbing your foot. Sounds weird but it turns heads. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it sounds...but so is skiing backwards for that matter.

Just 5's.... Some of these kids are landing (Skiing swith/fakie whatever) 7s and all sorts of flips.... Looks hard but the feeling of going off blind and doing a big old flip must be very interesting.... Of course I cant ski what-so-ever so I'll probably never know...