They surely can't with so few people taking part and the cost of the lighting/staffing, but then again surely woudln't open without good reason to.

Anyone any (intelligent) insight?

I'll guess. If your planning a short ski trip and one resort has night skiing and one doesn't. So youll plan to go to the resort with night skiing so youll get more time on the hill. When you get there you find your too tierd to keep skiing and go to the onsen instead. result a more popular destination for an attraction no one uses. Please feel free to tell me im wrong (not the spelling the theory)

Could it be that there's no good reason, and that far from being the seers and geniuses that some would have us believe, some resort management have their heads where the light don't shine, Arc lights notwithstanding?

If resorts in an area cooperated by having revolving nighters, rather than by all having them, they could cut costs and share the marketing burden. Oh sorry, I forgot, they don't actually market anyway.

who cares how much money the resorts make? I want options - and i get more options if all the resorts are open for longer. It may also be a prestege thing if your resort has night skiing while the crap one down the road doesnt even have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another fine comment there from the most prolific of writers.

There is no way the resorts can make money on nighta, apart from possibly the large more popular ones. Many of them are almost empty each night. So there must be other reasons for them to do this - like promotion, image, giving the customer what they want (!), etc.

Jared, I think in the long run you do care about resorts making some money. Because if they didn't they would shut down ultimately narrowing your options.

Just to be even more prolific...

If nightas are what customers want, why aren't they attending any?

And why assume that because a business does something that looks irrational that there's a (good) reason for it?

Beats me...

what i am trying to say (rather poorly) is that people choose to go to a resort because they plan to ski all day and the nighter, but they get too tierd and leave. becoase of the nighter the resort got a skier to choose to ski at their resort during the day over a field that doesnt have night skiing even though no night skiing occoured - im crap at explaining myself

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

If resorts in an area cooperated by having revolving nighters, rather than by all having them, they could cut costs and share the marketing burden.
Your not suggesting illegal practices are you?

Jared, I understand you. People want to go to a resort with the option to ski at night. Most are too tired, but if the resort had no nighta they wouldn't go in the day to that resort.

That explanation sounds implausible to me. As a day-tripper, there's no way I'm going to stay on or pay for a nighter. I can't think of many people who even imagine they have that sort of stamina or commitment.

That would then suggest that these resorts are targetting the overnighters. But how many of them are there? How many resorts that have nighters actually have substantial accomodation nearby? All seems a bit unlikely to me. That may be the reason, but is it a good one any more?

I'm a big nighta fan, and if it's snowing, i'll go all day then all night. To avoid the crowds, i'll often go until two or so, then relax in the avo, then go back to uncrowded night skiing.

As for the cost, a few lights, no extra grooming, bita OT for a few lifties... not like opening many resorts on weekdays!

• 4 years later...

I love the nighters. If a place didn't have a good nighter, I would think twice before going.

I buy into Captain Shag's theory. They don't make money from the nighters alone but the critical mass of skiers could more easily be reached if there was night skiing on offer.

• SnowJapan Admin

It's interesting that you bring this thread up thursday, I have just yesterday and today been speaking to a few resorts about this very thing.

Quite a few resorts are actually cutting back on nighta and only opening on weekends and holidays when they used to be open every day right through the season. They are losing a lot of money on it and can't justify it (to themselves).

I went for a few nightas last season and I remember thinking there was only us and 5 other people (and I wasn't even paying for my ticket!)

I do nighters almost every day after work (resort 25 minutes from my workplace). If they didn't offer nighters I might not bother to buy a season pass, as there are so many ski-jos in the area that I'd rather spend each weekend at a different one (since none are really that big).

• SnowJapan Admin

I'm sure Niseko will be just fine!

It's lots of other resorts in areas that aren't seeing those special Niseko-like conditions that are struggling.

I remember when I first came here nighta was really popular, sometimes even busy, waiting for lifts. I probably went nighta Monday to Friday all season, it was great. Last year it was spookily empty the few times I went.

Ishiuchi is easy the best and biggest round here. I went once last season on a Tuesday night, decent conditions, decent weather. No kidding, there coudln't have been more than 10 people out there in the whole area.