From the research I've done on it generally most of Japan can expect warmer temps and slightly lower snowfall during an El Nino event. Hokkaido though is less effected and in fact the northern parts of Hokkaido usually have slightly lower temps than usual. This is for the winter period obviously. Summers are generally cooler across most of Japan during El Nino events.

The following shows the effect on precipitation during Dec-Feb. Southern Japan generally has much lower precipitation whereas central and northern areas are not overly affected.

nino34_logprcp_DJF0.png

The following shows the effect on temperature during Dec-Feb. Most of Honshu generally experiences positive anomalies whilst far northern areas of Hokkaido are slightly cooler.

nino34_temp_DJF.png

It will all depend on the strength of the event and when it peaks.

Well the guardian would say 90%.

Not sure where they got that from ad I havent seen or read that figure any where else.

From what I gather it is about 50-50 percent chance of a strong El Nino later this year maybe starting to develop around late summer/early autumn onwards.

But dont know yet.

NOAA recently released this The chance of El Niño is 70% during the Northern Hemisphere summer and reaches 80% during the fall and winter.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html

That was an early June forecast. This may have recently been updated and may well be up at 90% now. It's not just the Guardian reporting the 90% figure.

I'm writing to the Daily Mail.....I bet you're an immigrant Surfarthur, probably stole someones job and brought down their property value

Completely true, every word of it.

I reckon El Nino probably means something like the following for Japan:

- Most Consistent Powder in the World © in Niseko

- Bottomless Hakuba ©

In conclusion, Book Now!

:thumbsup:

Not if you're a climate science denier muika. For the deniers papers like The Guardian that don't outright attempt to deny and slander the science are part of the leftist pinko, greeny global hoax that's being played on us all. I'm not for a moment suggesting that that's rational but people who deny the science of climate change aren't usually all that rational.

From the research I've done on it generally most of Japan can expect warmer temps and slightly lower snowfall during an El Nino event.

Fingers crossed there's no El Nino event.

We need more snow next season, not less!

Well with the weather patterns changing and the earth now going into a cooling cycle, some areas that usually get a lot of snow can end up getting less and areas that usually get less can end up getting more.

This last winter in Japan was a good example of that and is going to happen more and more often, although not every year of course. And the mad snow that we got and other areas got will become a more regular thing.